11

☀︎

"What the fuck is he getting out of this?" I ask. 

Xavier takes a step in front of me and shrugs his muscular shoulders, "The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth."

His words make sense and I shut my mouth as the first man pulls a woman to the chair, he slits her throat instantly and her gurgling sounds pierce the tense air. I grab the gun in my thigh band, readying myself for someone approaching me. 

I'm a lone wolf in this world filled with omertás. 

"Eloisa," Xavier speaks to me, his voice is too serious. "You should leave."

"I won't leave," I tell him with finality. "Don't underestimate me, I'm strong. Savannah needs someone to come help her, she clearly didn't sign up for any of this."

"Who the fuck is Savannah?" He spits. 

"You don't need to worry, Xavier, I'm not asking you to. Leave with all the men you have in here protecting your ass. I will find her either way," These are my departing words as I leave him standing in the shadows. 

A lot of sinister people approach me when I come into the light, but none of them will get the chance to kill me. I'm more than heavily armed. Sneaking through the masses of bodies, I ignore yet another scream ripping through the air and spot Savannah standing by the side of the microphone with Luis gripping her arm. 

She's crying and begging for him to release her. 

"Luis," I spit and square up to him. 

He smirks at me, "Eloisa. Clever as the devil, but twice as pretty, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Allow Savannah to leave, you shouldn't bring innocent lives into this world. That's pathetic and too easy of an escape for you," My words seem to anger him.

"Savannah will die tonight," A clear statement. 

"You chose this game. Play it right and meet your match, you codardo," (Coward) Once again, I hit him where it hurts and he releases Savannah roughly. 

He turns to her with a smirk, "Run."

And she does exactly that.

His dark eyes cut to mine instead, I'm fucking relieved he allowed her a chance to escape. "Now, how do you suggest I play it right? By choosing you?" This was expected; I challenged him after all. 

"Bet."

He inches closer to me and I clutch the gun tighter in my hand, his hand grips my waist and I quickly place the gun against his stomach where I pull the trigger. He falls at my feet, the distressed expression on his face has me tilting my head to the side, "Before you slaughter me, Luis, allow me to invert your rib cage or crush your knee caps. Which do you prefer?"

"You shot me," He spits and clutches his stomach, blood drips from his desperate hand.

"Oh, yeah. I did, didn't I?" I say and tap the gun against his chin twice. "Oh well, good damn riddance," I shrug my shoulders and shoot a bullet between his eyes. 

He drops to the floor in front of me, and only then do I realize the absolute chaos in the room. Screams are rupturing the air and I inch closer to the wall, hurrying towards the door in the back. 

An unfamiliar man storms up to me, his hand forces my arm into a stinging grip, "You're Ms. Martinelli, people want you dead and this is a good chance for me. I'm sorry, but the money is too good."

What the hell?

"Fair enough," I say and shoot him in the chest, walking away from the scene instantly. My feet carry themselves on instinct and I pull my dress up in order to step over the dead bodies lining the floor. Reaching a secluded part of the house, I hear booming voices slicing my ears and I try not to make a sound. 

"Mr. Romano, I beg you, please don't hurt them. Please!" The unfamiliar voice begs. 

My fingers itch to know what's going on. 

"I've disregarded too much from you already, you are despicable at your job. You knew what would happen tonight and chose to inform me at the last minute, do you fucking know how stupid that makes you?" Xavier's voice snarls. The sound has me feeling some type of way, he sounds absolutely dangerous. Lethal.

"Don't hurt them!"

"I won't hurt them, I will torture them. Deny them death until they beg for it, until they crave the taste of dying on their tongues. Non rompere di nuovo la mia fiducia, capito?" (Don't break my trust again, understand?) The promise on his voice leaves even me shaken, he means every word he speaks. 

"Kill me!" The man rushes out and I look from around the corner, he is on his knees and begging. "Kill me instead."

Xavier is standing with a straightened back, "No."

He leaves the man on the floor, carrying himself confidently out of the room and I'm shocked at my reaction to him being like this. He has such a heavy ounce of self confidence, it suits him and even though he probably is doing something horrific to the man now crying on the floor, he still has some part of my attention and I fear it. 

Why the fuck can't I stop myself from feeling like this?

Hurrying out of the room I find the door to the outside and walk out of it, the silence in the house has settled and I don't want to know how many are dead in there right now. Two of them are because of me. Tucking the gun into the holster, I walk down the sidewalk and ignore the feelings running through my veins. 

I can't be soft for anyone, I can't react like this because of anything. This is stupid and I refuse to be one of those. He is Xavier Romano, the most dangerous leader out there right now. He is horrific, inhumane, ignorant, cold, emotionless - He is just like me and I don't need that anymore. 

I need to kill his father and be done with this life. I need to kill him in order to get my revenge, in order to be able to sleep at night without the guilt consuming every part of my being.