thirty-three

Dear Clary,

I was interested to hear in your last letter about Harry being chosen for the Triwizard Tournament, and that the judges are still forcing him to compete given his age and the nature of the tasks. Dad told Bill and I about a couple of the tournaments held hundreds of years ago, and if this year's anything like the past, Harry's in for a rough year.

Also not surprised to hear that Fred and George attempted to get around the age barrier, though I have to say I am surprised that you didn't attempt it as well (though we all know that between the three of you, you were the one to receive all of the common sense). Wish I could have seen them with their long white beards, but I suppose we'll just have to wait another sixty years before they grow them again, permanently this time.

Anyways, to the point of this letter: on Thursday night before the First Task, make your way to the edge of the forest at 11 o'clock. I know you, Fred, and George have quite a bit of experience getting out of the castle after curfew, and I have no doubt you'll succeed. I would explain, but it'll be much easier for you to see for yourself. I'll see you then.

Love,

Charlie

Clary refolded the letter from her older brother for what seemed like the twentieth time that evening as she crept through the halls of the castle, careful not to be seen by a Prefect or faculty member patrolling the corridors for any students that might be out of bed that evening, of which she, of course, was one. She'd tried to find Harry before she left to ask about borrowing his old invisibility cloak, or even the Marauder's Map, which she had never regretted giving him more than she had in that moment, but he was nowhere to be seen, and, as he and Ron still weren't talking, she found her younger brother was no help either. But, no matter, she thought, she would still manage to get to Charlie that evening.

Shoving the letter into the pocket of her jeans, Clary reached the entrance to the castle, peering around the corner to see Filch and his cat patrolling the corridor, however the castle doors remained open for any faculty members outside that evening, revealing the dark, cool night waiting beyond. A monstrous shriek could be heard outside, causing Clary to take a step back in surprise, and a startled gasp emitted from Filch, who turned back to look at the doorway.

"Ruddy beasts," Clary could hear the old squib mutter. "We'll keep you far away from them, won't we, Mrs. Norris?"

As he turned back to look down at his fluffy, devilish companion, Clary peeked back around the corner, wand raised slightly in the direction of the wall on his other side. She muttered the incantation for a Cracker Jinx, and the dimly lit corridor was suddenly filled with sparks of every color imaginable as firecrackers began to pop over Filch's head, leading in the direction of the hallway away from Clary.

 Filch let out a surprised yell, following the trail in an attempt to search for the source of the noise, and as soon as he disappeared around the corner, Clary ran ahead, bursting out of the castle and into the night beyond, hood pulled up over her fiery red locks to hide them from anyone she might come into contact with. She made her way down the hill towards the edge of the Forbidden Forest, a newly made encampment illuminating the dark autumn night, and she spied the faces that began to come into view as she grew closer and closer, desperately looking around for Charlie, but instead her gaze landed on the huge creatures in front of her, attempting to be wrangled by the various teams Hogwarts had brought in for the First Task.

Dragons.

Clary watched as teams of dragon handlers attempted to keep control of the four beasts in their enclosures, a plume of fire being sent into the air if any of the dragons got frustrated. Clary watched in awe, and it had suddenly become very obvious why Charlie had been brought to Hogwarts that evening.