Chapter 120: The Red Mage Returns

Aygorzi

18th Muriel, 1093.

With a low rumble, the doors to the exclusive glass dome swung open, announcing the exit of its current occupants: Kashi and Kira, in a smaller direwolf size (just about reaching Kashi's chest). The daeben, who had been in an in-depth discussion with Kira over the direction his painting should go, raised a brow in surprise at the dwarf resting against the opposite wall, a massive mallet by his side, evidently having waited for a long time.

Yngvar Kernode, leader of the warrior clan and principal chief of security, pushed off the wall with a humph as he approached the daeben. Albeit hostile, his gaze held a hint of grudging respect, a luxury rarely afforded any not of the dwarfs. He measured the daeben with his eyes as he questioned, "Are you aware of a man called Absalon?"

Rather than be offended by the hostility, Kashi chose to focus on the respect in the dwarf's tone, answering amicably, "Yes, I am aware. He is a general in my guild."

Yngvar nodded. He lifted the mallet and balanced it on his right shoulder. "Follow me."

Kashi was mildly surprised to see Paaie Nilsen and Ulla Tav join them as they exited the palace. Both women were garbed in tough, practical leather armor most likely crafted from some Level 100 monsters. Unlike the more revealing styles of other races, these women looked more battle-ready than most male warriors. It was a look the daeben knew the player community would not take to, but he had to admit there was a renegade beauty to their simplicity.

Kashi made a mental note to ask the craftsmen in his guild to make some practical armor for women. After all, no rule stated that female warriors must wear nonsensically revealing attire.

Of course, that did not mean the Maggots would completely do away with revealing armor. There was a substantial market for a good reason.

"Paaie (pay) Nilsen and Ulla Tav," Yngvar introduced as they walked to a post where several igudas were tied. "Responsible for internal security and external diplomatic relations."

Igudas were similar to Komodo dragons. They were about the length of a horse minus their tail, but they were much closer to the ground than their mammal brothers of burden, standing at about the chest of an average man. Brown hard scales and a stocky build completed its imperious form.

Kashi politely bowed. "It is my honor."

The women appeared amused by his politeness and returned his bow with ones of their own, albeit with slight smirks. "Likewise," they chorused.

Yngvar untied one of the igudas and deftly hopped onto its back as it rose to full height. Stirrups in hand, he turned to the daeben. "You ride?"

Kashi approached one of the igudas, only for it to snap at him with numerous rows of extremely sharp teeth. He bitterly smiled, "Seems they do not like me."

Yngvar shook his head with a sigh. "I suppose it is to be expected. Igudas have a trace of dragon blood in their veins and, as a side effect, are extremely arrogant. They do not permit just anyone onto their backs."

Kashi rose a brow as Paaie and Ulla easily climbed onto two igudas.

Paaie noticed the daeben's confusion and explained with a chuckle. "These igudas have been raised since birth by us, mostly to serve the Church for transportation. However, they are familiar with our scent, and so our kind can ride them." She teasingly patted the free space on the saddle behind her. "You can get on mine. She shouldn't act up if I'm here."

Kashi smiled but resolutely shook his head. He turned to Kira, his pleading gaze clashing against her obstinate one. Luckily, in the end, for one reason or another, the proud direwolf gave in to the pressure.