Chapter 1

"Ladies and gents, please check your online bundles over the summer and go through the syllabus file I've put in there. There are some things I've asked of you all, and I am expecting you to come back here prepared in a couple of weeks. I am not going to keep sending out the same recapping e-mails. For now, enjoy your summer. You're dismissed.'' Professor Haste exclaims to the entire lecture hall, full of students.

Never have I thrown my book and laptop in a bag as fast as I just did.

Summer break.

Fucking. Finally.

Do you ever just feel drained? Substantially. Ardently. Academically.

Well, then I relate.

Law school is going to suck and then drain all life out of me before I even take the bar. I know it will. I'm just waiting for it to happen at this point. If it hasn't already.

In the span of three years, I've amassed my JD bachelor's degree in law. Now I'm following in my grandparent's footsteps, on the trek of getting my MLS, at twenty-two years old.

And not a day goes by that I don't want to bang my head against the walls of these halls.

I know it sounds like I hate my assessments. I don't. I do want to become an attorney, and get into the whole law field. I guess I was one of those lucky teenagers that's always known what they wanted to be when they grow up. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to not know what you want to do in life.

Some would say I got thrown into this turf. I would disagree if this wasn't what I really sought out to do. I'm good at this. I've been doing this for a long time now. Even in my early-teen years, while kids my age would be outside, I was filling out paperwork behind my grandfather's desk, and sneaking up on my grandmother's meetings just to heed and feel like a part of it all.

Which is, morosely, how the majority of my childhood went. Aloof and shielded from the outside world, very detached. In a distance of anything that could potentially hurt me. 

Sad? Maybe so. Although I had my reasons.

Do I regret anything, and wish to have done things inversely? No. I do believe in everything happening for a reason. I wouldn't have made it this long if I hadn't. 

I believe the only good thing those years of life have brought me is probably my group of friends. I have no fucking idea what I would've done without them. There are five of us- including me. Nara, Jenn, Soyana, and Ivana. Some would say we're inseparable. Probably right on the money, we're a tight as a fucking fist. Those girls and I have gone through the whole shebang of life together. I'll be forever grateful to have them be a part of my life. 

Speaking of, if I don't get my ass out of here and make my way to the Italian place where Nara is undoubtedly already seated and waiting for me, she will punch me in the tit. You'll come to find out she can get very scary at times. I promised her that I would meet her there for lunch after my morning classes. What I hadn't considered was class running a bit later than usual. And by bit, I mean an hour.

I throw the white, shopper-like bag that's the only one in my closet to fit all of my class documents and laptop over my shoulder and try to melt in with the crowd that's hurrying itself out of the room. Which is going great. I'll consider myself lucky if I don't get trodden over before I'm out of here. 

A few minutes later, I've managed to worm my way through the press and walk out that godawful buildings double doors- still not fully acknowledging the happiness gurgling inside of my gut, at the fact that I don't have to come back here for weeks- due to the hurrying I'm currently doing. I replace my regular glasses with some bigger ray-ban sunglasses and hop in my Volkswagen.