Ch.44 Thetis

Chapter 44

Heyder leaned back against the railing of the stairs as Maya and Exton slowly descended to the foyer. His dark eyes watched the sunlight play peek a boo with Maya's hair as she absent mindlessly pushed a few loose pieces away from her face. His hand itched to feel the smoothness of her skin. He wanted to grip her hair and feel the strands wrap around his fingers as he tasted her full lips.

As if sensing his thoughts and eyes on her, Maya looked up. She tried to pay attention to what her father was saying, but the warmth running down to her toes distracted her.

"Tell Thetis Tobias sent you," Exton said. "Who knows, maybe his name will get her to stop and listen."

Maya nodded, "Okay.......anything else."

"No," Exton sighed.

The pair came to a stop at the foot of the stairs and looked up at Heyder. Exton cleared his throat and looked the jinn straight in the eyes.

"Do not let her leave your sight," he said.

"Got it," Heyder gave a snarp nod.

"If anything happens to her, I swear to the gods I will ki-"

"Dad," Maya placed her hand on her father's arm. "I think we're getting late."

Exton narrowed his eyes and held Heyder's gaze for a few seconds longer before taking a small step back. He wrapped his arms around Maya as she came in for a hug. His eyes stayed glued on the jinn.

"Shall we?" Maya asked, letting go of her father and turning to Heyder.

Heyder didn't speak. He flickered his hand and a large portal appeared beside the portraits on the hall. He held his hand out for Maya and waited patiently as Exton placed one last kiss on her forehead.

"Keep your link open," Exton said as Maya took Heyder's hand and slipped into the portal.

The warm air of Greece was a welcome change from the chilly mountain breeze of the palace. Maya immediately tilted her head up to the sunlight. She felt Heyder squeeze her hand before he took a step in front of her and pulled her face down to meet his lips.

"I'm sorry about my dad," Maya mumbled as the jinn began leaving wild kisses.

"It's fine," Heyder dismissed right away.

"He can be a little too mu-"

"I get it."

"You do?" Maya asked in confusion. She pulled back to get a better look at Heyder's face.

"He's your father," Heyder said, searching her eyes. "You will forever be the little girl he brought home from the hospital wrapped in a little blanket."

Maya couldn't stop the smile that spread across her lips, "What?"

"He's worried about you, birdie," Heyder sighed. His hands rested hooked around her hips as he gazed down at her. "As he should be. I've doomed you."

"You've done nothing to me," Maya shook her head. "I kissed you, remember?"

"It's my curse, remember?" Heyder laughed. "If I was in your dad's shoes, I would have killed me by now."

Heyder's words caused Maya's smile to drop. She looked down at the ink peeking out from under his shirt and darted her tongue out to wet her lip.

"I don't think he hates you," she said, slowly.

"He should," Heyder replied. "I would understand if he did."

"You're very understanding today," Maya teased. She reached up and touched the side of the jinn's face.