(23) The Name Game

A/N : Lmfao somehow I managed to go from chapter 21 to 24 to 26. Yeah, I can totally count. Also- YAS. WE'RE AT 1K READS~ Tysm to all of y'all who took the time to read this crappy book I made on a whim. ✨✨

Y/N

"You'll have hell to pay later!" Midnight exclaimed as she barged in.

I rubbed my eyes and looked around, confused about how I'd gotten here. After to sports festival I'd slept.. a lot. I remember getting up for school and some vague details about meeting some of my friends along the way but the sudden interruption knocked me into my senses.. mostly. For some reason though, I began having nightmares again after the festival. Of.. their deaths. There was an unsettling feeling even after I woke up, like a bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Between the excessive sweating from the previous night along with my overall exhaustion from yesterday, I wouldn't been able to get to school in time if it wasn't for Dad.

'So I guess we're doing hero names? And something about the internships drafts, hmm..'

"Midnight here will be overseeing your code name selections," Dad states monotonously.

I sat up slightly more, looking forward to presenting the name that I'd been considering since childhood.

'Yea.. I'll make you guys proud!'

After a while, my classmates went up and presented their names, and I clapped along supportively, grinning.

"I now present, The Sparkling Hero :✨I Cannot Stop Twinkling!✨" Aoyama announced proudly.

Midnight muttered something about changing it to a shortened version, but otherwise accepted the name, leaving the rest of he class in a state of confusion & maybe a little bit of panic. Mina was up next!

"Alien Queen!" She'd exclaimed.

The pro proceeded to shut down her idea as it sounded way too similar to some bad movie she'd seen, or something.

"Hey, is it okay if I go next? Ribbit," Tsu asked politely. The teacher agreed, and she declared, "This is my hero name. The rainy day hero : Froppy!"

Along with my class, I cheered and chanted for her when Midnight gave it the go-ahead.

"My hero name, Red Riot!" Kirishima exclaimed excitedly.

"Oh? Is that by chance out of respect for the man among heroes, Crimson Riot?"

"Yea, it is! He's kinda retro but the hero image I'm going for is to be just like him!"

Midnight then asked him if he was ready to carry the weight of carrying the name of somebody he looked up to, to which he responded with an inspiring, "I'm ready for it!"

"Earphone Jack!"

"Tentacole."

"Cellophane," Sero chimed with a smile.

"T..Tail-Man.."

"Sugar Man! Don't judge my name!"

"Pinky!" Mina attempted, and slumped in relief when the new name was accepted.

"Charge-Bolt!"

"All right kids, excellent! Keep me coming!"

Momo proclaimed herself to be 'Creati', something Midnight seemed to really like.

"Shoto." Todo-kun told the class, to which he received a barrage of confused questions. He just responded with a simple, "Yep."

"Tsukuyomi."

"Grape Juice!"

'How.. interesting?' I thought, at the short boy's chosen name.

"Anima.."

And of course, Bakugou. "KING EXPLOSION MURDER!" The majority of our class just laughed at the.. ever so slightly eccentric title, which Midnight promptly rejected.

"Here's what I came up with.. Uravity!" Uraraka told everyone.

'Aww.. that's a cool name!'

"Well, that went quicker than I thought it would! Now all we have is Bakugou's revision, Y/N.. Iida, plus Midoriya.

I glanced over at the class representative, only to find that he had an extremely conflicted look on his face. Something was bothering him, and despite wanting to help I couldn't figure out what it was.

'Tenya,' was what Iida's board read. 'Just his first name?'

It was at this point I realized.. I still hadn't written down my name yet. 'Oops!' I quickly wrote down my new, yet quite old, hero name and prepared myself to present as Deku went up.

I gasped, and I'm sure many of my other classmates did too. And yet, I was also kind of happy, in a way.

"Are you sure about that Midoriya?"

"Yea. Up until now, I didn't like it at all. But then a certain somebody changed the menacing of the word for me.. and blew my world wide open. I was so happy," I barely noticed the quick glance he sent my way. I just grinned, proud of him for doing it. "This is my hero name: Deku!"

'Deku.. I'm happy for you too.'

I walked up to the front with a smile on my face, tiredness forgotten in my rush of excitement. Gripping the board to my chest, I surveyed the class.

"When I become a hero, I want to be the kind of hero who helps people in any way that I can. I want to improve and get better at it, and I'm really glad I get to spend these next 3 years with you guys. I'm going to be 'The Hero of Aid, Phoenix!"

My smile only grew as my class, as they did for everyone else clapped.

"What an admirable goal!" Midnight exclaimed as she wrapped me into a hug, which I happily returned. Between the happiness I felt for my classmates as well as the excitement of finally being able to tell people my new hero name, I was glowing again.

'I.. seriously need to get this under control,' I mentally noted , laughing as I drew back the energy.

Bakugou was sent off to think of his hero name outside of school hours, as the class was over. I'm sure he was going to think of something suitable.. eventually.

Other than that, it was a pretty average, but good day.

Right?

~ October 10th, 2020 ~