1.14 Formidable Opponents

Author's Note:

I am profoundly grateful for all of you readers and your support. Thank you so much for your votes and comments!! They always brighten my day 😊

You're all amazing!!!

***

Kiyoko held the ball up to Coach Ukai as he stood on a table, imitating spikes. Ai was in charge of collecting the balls after five successful receives.

When they were done, she got help from Ennoshita to carry the table out of the middle of the court.

"Ai! Come here!"

She smiled and walked over. Nishinoya was always thoughtful to include her. "What is it, Yū?"

"This magazine!" He pointed at the page with Ushijima Wakatoshi's picture.

She sat next to him and leaned over. They were comfortable in their friendship to accept touching, possibly more so than any of the others.
"I'll be sure to research Shiratorizawa," she answered him and perused the monthly volleyball magazine.

Sugawara, Tanaka, and Hinata were also crowding over them, when Takeda-sensei came to the gymnasium with a printout.

Ai took a picture of the Interhigh matchups. Unlike high school basketball in Tokyo, their Miyagi Interhigh didn't have qualifiers. She supposed it was a benefit of living in a rural prefecture, with less competing teams.

But, for now, she focused on their next opponent: Tokonami. If they won that first round, their following enemy would be Date Tech High and their unmatched blocking heights, and at the end of the block was Seijoh, led by the setter's offensive power. The former had won against them 2-0 in the Prefectural Public Tournament that March.

It wasn't just them, either; Wakutani Minami with their excellent defense and solidarity, Shiratorizawa under the super high school level ace, Ushijima Wakatoshi's command, and others were all formidable opponents. If they as much as lose one match, their ticket to nationals and the opportunity to play against Nekoma again would disappear. They had to become the top team in the whole prefecture of Miyagi.

The team was hyped up and ready to work hard. The only thing that troubled her mind was Daichi's conflicted expression.

———

One night, she asked the captain if she could lower one of the basketball hoops. He cheerfully agreed, telling her to take responsibility for returning it back to normal.

She smiled. "I wouldn't imagine otherwise."

As she took out a basketball from the equipment room, Ai began to get stares. She dribbled the ball and shot it. It missed. She moved in for a rebound and danced around the half-court. She closed her eyes, picturing Aomine flying past blocks and Akashi breaking ankles.

"What?! Ai-senpai played basketball?!" Hinata asked Kageyama.

"I dunno. Looks like it."

"She used to be a basketball club manager in middle school!" Nishinoya explained proudly with his hands on his hips.

The two first-years harmonized in awe, holding their water bottles.

"Huh? Tsuki-chin, you're playing basketball?"

Everyone turned around at once, jumping at the unfamiliar voice from the entrance of the gym. Murasakibara ducked his head and stepped inside. "Hey."

"Sorry for the intrusion. I know we should have called first." Himuro appeared next and followed suit. It was nearing sunset, and none of them had noticed the two strangers encroaching their school premises until they heard them speak. They were both wearing their preppy, black school uniforms adorned with Yōsen's emblem, paired with red ties.