1.21 Senpai's True Abilities

You all give me so much support and motivation! 🥺

Endless thanks for reading and voting!!!

***

Reference:

Aoba Johsai Private High School (Seijoh):
Head Coach - Irihata Nobuteru
Coach - Mizoguchi Sadayuki
#1 Oikawa Tōru (Captain) - 3 - S
#2 Matsukawa Issei - 3 - MB
#3 Hanamaki Takahiro - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#4 Iwaizumi Hajime (Vice Captain & Ace) - 3 - WS / Outside Hitter
#6 Yahaba Shigeru - 2 - S / Pinch Server
#7 Watari Shinji - 2 - Li
#12 Kindaichi Yūtarō - 1 - MB
#13 Kunimi Akira - 1 - WS / Opposite Hitter

***

The look of sheer shock on Kageyama's face struck her heart. Her expression was grim even when Sugawara enthusiastically greeted the others on the court. She watched as the first-year setter retreat to the sidelines, but he was just that: a first-year. No matter how talented, he was inferior to Sugawara's two years' worth of maturity.

Sugawara thought like her. He prioritized the psychology of the players and felt them out by talking to them. Together, they read the expressions, actions, and tones in the voices of their teammates. They observed their team members and acted accordingly to how each of them was feeling that day. The only difference was that he was a player, and she wasn't.

As she watched Kageyama's exchange with Hinata, she thought that seeing the game play out from the outside would do him good. It would give him time to cool his head and calm down.

"Tobio! Breathe!" she called downstairs, her hands curved around her mouth.

Kageyama looked up in surprise and saw her.

"Breathe," she repeated.

He nodded, and Ai watched, checking to see if his shoulders sturdily moved up and down from deep inhaling and exhaling.

Karasuno scored several points as soon as they changed their setter.

A smile started at her lips. She could never stay displeased when Sugawara was around; he always found a way to warm her heart.
Even when she'd first joined the club, he had been there for her with Nishinoya. It was impossible to refuse a grin from him.

Their vice-captain had more experience and knew what he was doing. Additionally, like Ai, Sugawara had been watching meticulously from the side and gathering his own intel. Now, it was finally his turn to put them to use. Moreover, he understood what teamwork meant.

When the last point was accounted for, Ai dropped her things on the floor and ran to the stairs before she even heard the referee's whistle blow. She ignored the pain in her head and rushed to meet the team during the break between sets.
She burst through the doors and walked straight up to Kageyama.

"Tobio!" She caught him by surprise again when she hugged him. She'd pulled on his shoulders down to her height and held his head with one hand. "How many times do I have to tell you that you're not alone?"

She pulled back and held his hands, squeezing as hard as she could. He was taken aback and speechless at Ai's rather violent actions. Ai focused all of her strength into her death grip on Kageyama's hands, and he started to protest.

He grimaced. "Ow, Ai-senpai."

She loosened her clutch. "Do you feel that, Tobio? You are a part of Karasuno. I am, too. And, so is everyone else standing here." She pointed her head toward the others, who also stood astonished by the sight of her. She grabbed his collar and yanked downwards. "You are not fighting against these people. They, each one of them, are trying to help you. They are trying to win as much as you are. And, you are not the one hitting the spikes. They are. Let them help you," she said sternly. Her fuchsia eyes were ablaze and glared at him.