Chapter 44: The Daring Escape Pt. 1

"I'm sorry?" I question.

A proposition? What kind of proposition? And what is she talking about when she says she hates Matteo? I can't agree with her, as much as I do, I can't take the risk that she is working for Matteo as his spy or something, despite how unlikely that seems.

"I don't hate-"

"Look, it's your decision whether you want to follow through with this, but here me out okay? This benefits you more than it does me." She hisses, taking a look back towards where Matteo had disappeared to. "Let's take this somewhere more private."

Yanking on my arm, she begins the drag me away from Matteo and towards the hall where we had entered through. Passing by the minglers, we head further down the hall and away from the entrance of the mansion.

Suddenly, she pulls me into an empty room, slamming the door behind us and flicking on the light.

It's a large sitting room, decorated with huge plum coloured couches that look like they should be in some sort of medieval castle.

"How can I trust anything you have to say?" I query.

Katerina lets go of my arm and sighs, taking a step back, away from me heading further into the room. She runs her hand through her black hair , then balling her hands into fists at her side. "You can't." She says. "But it doesn't mean you shouldn't."

I honestly don't know what to think of this woman. "Why do you hate Matteo?" I ask, stepping further into the room, away from the door.

Katerina drops herself onto one of the couches, and places her head in her hands. She looks as if she's exhausted. "Matteo and I have a complicated relationship. All you need to know is that he betrayed my trust, and it cost me everything."

"I'm sorry, but that isn't enough for me to trust you. I don't care about your petty family drama." I state, my voice cold.

"Wow, I wonder what drew Matteo to you." She remarks chuckling.

I stare at her, waiting for some kind of explanation, and it isn't until I begin to back away towards the door, that she jumps up. "Okay, okay. I'll tell you. But this needs to be quick. Matteo will have guards patrolling the whole house for you any minute."

I nod, knowing full well the lengths that he will go to, to keep me in his possession.

"A few years ago, I met a girl--My now wife. I kept it a secret from my family for months, none of them could know that I was in a relationship with a girl, otherwise I would be cut off from the family, ties and funding--Everything." She sighs. "Long story short, Matteo found out, and told our father. And he was just as ruthless as I had expected him to be. Matteo took everything from me, so now I want to return the favour." Katerina smirks up at me, evilly.

She certainly has a motive to want to destroy him, but then again, I bet everyone who he's ever met does.

"Okay..." I nod my head.

If she is really serious about this proposition, I think I can trust her. It's not like I have much more of a choice, and what can Matteo do if he finds out? Sure he can threaten my mother, but he would never actually do anything, because then he would no longer have any leverage.

"So, what is it you are proposing?"

"One of my men works for Matteo, and he happens to have access to the elevator up to his penthouse. One o'clock, tomorrow morning, he can collect you and bring you to me. You'll be free, and I'll have made Matteo angry, we both get what we want. What do you say?"

I don't know what to say. How the hell am I supposed to ensure that Matteo wont wake up and find out what is happening? "How am I to know Matteo wont wake up?"