Chapter Thirty-Four: Reina

Reina growled in frustration. She's been trying to convince Alex to stop the fight for the last hour. Now they were heading toward the outdoor training arena. Scarlett was already there with her staff. Practicing a few different stances and moves. The arena was set up in an amphitheater style, with main fighting area at the bottom with stands circling out it. Forming an oval. Oddly enough there was two basketball hoops on either end of the fighting space. Alex frowned and looked at them.

"What's up with that?" she asked.

"I tend to practice basketball out here and we'll have practice games with the warriors... Alex, Royal Pack warriors have been training to fight all their lives. Especially, Scarlett. Her parents and their parents have all been Royal Pack Warriors for generations. She's also been training to be the Warrior Princess; she is one of the best warriors that we have."

"She's right," Dana said softly. "You don't have to prove anything to us or anyone else."

"I know," Alex said softly. "I know I don't have to prove anything to you guys, but I still need to do this."

"I agree with Alex," Tomi spoke up from behind them. "She's assumed this role unusually. Even if she hadn't... its normal for the Warrior mate to fight in duels. I've had my own fair share of them. People want to test their skills against us. Don't worry, people rarely get hurt in these kinds of duels."

"And trust me. I know what I'm doing," Alex said softly. Leaving her mates and Tomi at a podium/referee type box, Alex went down to the arena, where Scarlett was waiting.

Tomi's voice echoed throughout the empty stands, "this is a duel to submission between Scarlett Knight and Alexandra Xander. There will be no maiming or killing in this duel. The first one to submit is the loser. Announce the weapons you will be using in this duel."

"I will be using my staff!" Scarlett announced.

"I will fight unarmed," Alex said causing both of her mates to frown.

"We have weapons," Reina muttered. Dana just hugged her arm in attempt to both soothe herself and her mate as she watched nervously.

"Let the duel begin!" Tomi shouted.

Scarlett wasted no time and thrusted with her staff toward Alex, who in turn nimbly spun out of the way. Alex kept both hands behind back and just sidestepped and dodged her opponent's attacks. Who was growing steadily more frustrated and her attacks becoming fiercer. She nearly managed to strike Alex a couple of times, but the other still avoided the blows. One time going into a Matrix type pose, leaning all the way back as the staff swept over her.

With an angry growl, Scarlett hit a hidden button on her staff turning into a glaive. The blade suddenly unfolded out of hidden chamber near the top of the shaft. Alex only lift an eyebrow in surprise at the sudden blade but otherwise didn't seem perturbed. She danced back a few paces to exit the range of the weapon. Scarlett made a stabbing motion toward Alex and the next few moments seemed to simultaneously be in slow motion and yet almost too fast for Reina to process as she watched.

Scarlett overcommitted to her strike and moved slightly off balance which seemed to be what Alex was waiting for because she grabbed the staff from behind the blade and pulled it forward. Causing Scarlett to lose her balance and release her weapon. Quicker than eye could follow, Alex spun Scarlett around and forced into the kneeling position with her back toward Alex. Then Alex placed the shaft of her opponent's weapon against her neck and held her in a chokehold. Vainly, Scarlett struggled against the hold before finally giving up and tapping Alex's hand.

She managed to whisper out, "I surrender." Alex released her from the hold and stepped back still holding the glaive. Scarlett rubbed her neck and coughed.

"Alex is the winner," Tomi declared then she, Reina, and Dana headed toward Alex. Meanwhile, Alex gave the weapon a few practice twirls testing the balance. She seemed very comfortable with the weapon. Scarlett rose to her feet and bowed toward Alex.

"You are worthy to be the Warrior Princess. Please forgive me."

"It's already in the past," Alex said shrugging. "Don't bother with that bowing stuff." When Scarlett straighten up, Alex held out the weapon for Scarlett to take. "Hey, how did you get the blade to come out?"

"Oh!" Scarlett said taking the staff, "there's a button. When it's closed and I press it then the blade springs out. Then when I want to put it away, I just press the button, and..." she moved the shaft down so that she could reach the blade. Pressing down on the back, she folded the blade back into the staff. "It just folds up. Like a pocketknife." It now appeared to be like a regular bo staff.

"Cool," Alex said. Scarlett made to hand the weapon to Alex but was stopped by the latter holding up a hand.

"Keep it. After all you'll need it for training."

"Training?" Scarlett said confused. "I thought you were going to exile me."

Alex shook her head, "Reina said I needed a second. She suggested you. And I agree with her. You're a good fighter and I think you can help me get caught up on what I need to know to be the Warrior Princess."

Reina growled angerly, "Scarlett should be exiled for challenging you!" Dana hugged her angry mate.

"Calm down. I think Alex does know what she's doing. Sides we can't do anything. This is her decision."

Alex moved toward Reina, "please Rei trust me." Her use of her nickname did more to calm Reina than anything. She begrudgingly nodded.

"Very well," she turned to her former friend. "Don't think this means I forgive you for threatening my mate. If you ever even look at her funny. I won't hesitate to cast you out."

"Understood your highness," Scarlett murmured softly bowing. Dana gave herself a shake, as if she was removing the negativity from herself.

"Now that that's settled. I believe we have a run planned..." she said grinning at her mates. Alex returned the grin, but Reina just remained glaring at Scarlett. Dana just rolled her eyes and began pulling Reina in the direction of the forest singing, "we're going on a trip in our favorite rocket ship! Zooming through the sky, Little Einsteins!" A chuckling Alex followed close behind them.