Chapter 3

I've missed them. I think as I watch four of the craziest people I know clutter around in the water.

I had an early morning shift at the shop today, so I was home by 2 pm. Bored out of my freaking mind, lying in bed with an open book resting on my stomach, I decided to text the group chat to see what everyone was up to. To my utter incredulity, nobody had anything planned for the rest of the day.

And that's how Soyana, Nara, Ivana, Jenn and I ended up in the pool in Ivana's backyard. Typical, humid Californian June day. Jenn was telling us about this guy she met on vacation in Spain and I am on the verge of drowning her. Yup, typical.

It's been a little while since we've been together like this. No other responsibilities waiting for us at home that we have to attend to. We're all busy people. Semesters are hectic, and it's not like high school anymore, where our only worry was at whose house we would be hanging out after a school day. Or whose house we would be sleeping at on Friday night. Life's truly a bitch after 18.

''You guys don't understand how fucking dreamy he was,''

On cue, we all roll our eyes. Oh, how many times we've heard that same exact sentence before. Jenn claims to have found a new 'love of her life' every other week.

''That's what you say about all of them, you whore.'' Soyana notes, splashing water in her direction. Our laughter bursts through the big outdoor space of Jenn's parents' yard.

''Whatever.'' Her attention turns to Nara. ''Nar, I heard you had a little dinner date with Josh.'' She wiggles her brows at her, and our gazes turn her way, waiting for a response. My mind immediately brings back memories of Kayden and that day. Which I have been trying to get out of my head for three days straight. A failed attempt, too. 

''I did not have a date with Josh. I told you I ran into him and he decided to keep me company since I was waiting for this little bitch right here,'' She points my way, we all guffaw at the defensive tone her voice took on. Joshua is kind of a sore subject with her.

''Cut me some fucking slack. I had just gotten out of a three-hour lecture. I got there as soon as I could.'' I shoot back. 

''Yes, of course. Couldn't keep Kayden's sexy-ass waiting, now could we?'' she counters with a raised brow.

I was so hoping that name wouldn't make an appearance today. Shit.

''I didn't even know who Kayden was by that time, idiot.'' I raise my hand and splash water in her face, glaring to let her know bringing him up was not appreciated in the slightest. I know my friends. They won't let this go.

''Kayden?'' Ivana questioned the unfamiliar name. 

Here we go.

''Yeah, just this guy Josh was with that day. Nothing special.'' I shrugged.

Please, drop the subject. I silently plead. I don't really like to talk about guys when it comes to me. I've never really had an active love life and probably won't for a long, long time. These girls are all very experienced in relationships and sex- which I both very much lack- My high school years were spent trying to score perfect to get into law school- well except for one big mishap, I don't want to get into- and now after college, in law school, I am way too busy to be with anyone. You won't believe the amount of time I spend on my studies. It's exhausting. I don't even have time for a normal social life to see my friends as much as I would like, let alone to entertain a guy or worse- a fuckbuddy. Luckily, they don't push me to date or anything they know I don't want. We all have our boundaries and respecting each other's decisions is one of the most important things to us.