Chapter 14

Flashback - Storybrooke - 1983

At Regina's and Vivian's house, Regina invited Kurt and Owen over for dinner one night and the four of them were having dinner together.

"This is, uh, really delicious lasagna, isn't it, Owen?" Kurt looked at his son.

"Not really," Owen said and Vivian chuckled.

"Owen," Kurt said sternly.

"It's okay, I know I'm not the greatest cook unless it involved apples. Speaking of which, how would you like to help me make turnovers for dessert?" Regina looked at Owen, "There's a bunch of apples sitting out in the sink. Why don't you go pick out some good ones?"Regina suggested and Owen left, heading to the kitchen.

Kurt chuckled, "Owen is a bit of a free spirit, he gets it from his mom," Kurt said.

"Is she, uh, back in New Jersey?... With the boss?" Regina asked.

Kurt chuckled slightly, "With the b... She, uh, she passed away six months ago," Kurt said.

"We're sorry," Regina said and Vivian looked at him.

"That's why I brought him here, actually. Thought that camping, new surroundings, maybe that'd help him take his mind off things, but..." Kurt said.

"We came here looking to start over, too. Hasn't turned out quite the way I had hoped," Regina said.

"Why not?" Kurt asked.

"What good's a new life if you don't have anyone to share it with?" Vivian said.

"Hey! I thought we were making dessert!" Owen called out and Regina chuckled, walking into the kitchen.

"I've noticed your father... Isn't around," Kurt said.

"Yeah... He hmm, he was in an accident when I was 3, died instantly," Vivian told him.

"Oh, where were you before here?" Kurt asked.

"Err..." Vivian thought for a bit and leaned back into the back of the chair she was sat on, looking at him, "I'm not sure, we've been as long as I can remember... Guess we moved when I was young," Vivian said.

"You are young," Kurt said.

Vivian smiled and chuckled, "Younger then," Vivian said.

"Better," Kurt chuckled.

"Tell me about New Jersey, what's it like?" Vivian asked him with a smile.

Over half an hour later, Vivian and Kurt walked into the kitchen where Regina and Owen still were.

"How's dessert coming?" Kurt asked as they walked into the kitchen.

"Great. Owen and I were just talking and I know this might sound crazy, but how would you two feel about sticking around town a little longer?" Regina asked him.

"Uh, stick around? As in?" Kurt said, confused.

"Move here. I can get you a job in the city and there's a great school for Owen," Regina said.

"Please, Dad, can we?" Owen looked at his father.

"It can be a chance for a new start," Regina said as Vivian looked between them both.

"Uh, well look, I appreciate everything you've done for us, but our life is in New Jersey. It's not here," Kurt said.

"Of course," Regina said.