ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER FOURTEENᴠᴀᴍᴘɪʀᴇ

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
ᴠᴀᴍᴘɪʀᴇ

I left early enough in the morning to be able to avoid Mrs Rochester on the way out. Breakfast time was beginning to feel like torture, having to force down the same grubby food down my throat day on end, Mr Rochester sitting silently with his dark cup of coffee at the end of the table. It didn't help that I'd been prolonging the days between each feed, adding a day onto my fasting to test how long I could go. Eating and hunting felt like too much of a chore to ever be enjoyable any more, thanks to my heightened need of blood.

Forks was back to being foggy again, and as I walked to school, the mist was damp even against my cold skin. The branches dropped under the weight of last nights rain that collected on the tips, of which I'd watched safely from the tiny window of my bedroom.

When I arrived at school, Jessica located me immediately, grabbing my elbow so she could pull me quickly to the front doors, looking out over the car park.

"There you are," she said, as if she'd been looking for me. "You've got to see this."

I searched the car park, eyes immediately drawing toward a shiny convertible, cherry red. It was parked when the Cullens would usually park. Then I noticed why. Rosalie was the first to step out, blonde hair flipping over her shoulder as she shut the door behind her, expensive purse slinging over her shoulder. The rest followed, Emmett finding his place by her side, Jasper... and Alice behind them.

Apparently my look said enough, as Jess exclaimed, "I know right!" Then her jaw dropped. "Oh. My. God."

"What now?" I asked. She just pointed.

Edward's silver Volvo pulled into the space beside Rosalie's convertible in one swift movement. Edward stepped out with his inhumanly elegance, sliding to the back of his car where he met... Bella. Jessica was gaping, Bella's jacket handing from on her arm. I chuckled, shaking my head as the pair walked toward us, standing closely, but not close enough to touch. As they stopped in front of us, Jess hurried to hand over the jacket, jealousy heating her face.

"Thanks for remembering," Bella said.

"Good morning, Jessica," the words melted from his mouth.

She stuttered out a response, "uh hi. I'll see you in Trig."

Jessica hurried away after a look that screamed 'I want to know everything' was shot toward Bella. I paused for a moment glancing between the two, figuring what I could possibly say.

"Good morning, Elide," Edward finally broke the silence.

I couldn't tell if it was sincere. Edward had probably mastered that charming stair and soft look decades ago, and it was much too strong, even for my piercing eyes. So, I smiled with thin lips and replied politely.