ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sᴇᴠᴇɴᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER SEVENTEENᴡɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
ᴡɪʟʟɪᴀᴍ

I met with Alice the day after too, this time in the fading light of another dim evening. In the back of my mind, as she told me of the wild things of our world, the image of her face, sparkling beneath the sunlight was engrained. It had taken me two minutes after revealing my normal skin for me to get embarrassed enough about my interest and gender words for me to leave.

"Knowing everything makes me feel stupid," I said, leaning back against the tree.

I let my head tip, eyes staring up at the dark clouds that were outlined behind the leaves of the trees. It would quickly become our spot, I knew. Alice's eyes were on the side of my face.

Alice chuckled, her voice light and airy. "Why?"

"Because If I hadn't been so scared of everything, I would have told you. Then everything could have been avoided," I said.

She shuffled forward, nudging my arm so I'd look at her.

"What happened?" She asked.

I shook my head. "What do you mean?"

"To stop you from trusting?" She smiled. I looked away again.

"A few things."

A few torturous memories that I couldn't afford to bring up. Not for my own sake. The memory of Thomas and his brother hurt enough to make me bite my tongue.

I shook my head a second time. "Another day."

Alice nodded in understanding. I was thankful when she turned the conversation away and toward herself.

"I don't remember anything from before I was turned. I don't even know how it happened," she said, eyes staring off. "Sometimes, I think people pity me, for not remembering anything human. But then I hear things that make me realise that maybe it was a blessing."

I could think of nothing better than forgetting all of my past life. Of all the good and bad. It wouldn't have chased me to the present, forced me for speaking out.

"At least I don't have anything human to compare my vampire life with," she said, speaking my thoughts.

"Yeah, that would be nice. I find myself comparing all too often," I said, letting a small smile peak out from my lips. "Why do you think you don't remember?"

Alice shrugged, standing to her feet so she could wander round in circles in front of my feet. "I don't know. I don't imagine I ever will."

"Maybe that's why you're so bubbly."

I smiled, but Alice stopped still, a frown on her face. Her happy personality had disappeared at the very topic of it.

"It's strange. Everything feels normal to me. Like I have a real family. We even play baseball as a family on weekends," she said. "It's like I am normal. I don't remember anything. I'm just a human with heightened senses and a gift of looking toward the future."