ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER EIGHTEENsᴛᴏʀᴍ

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
sᴛᴏʀᴍ

The weather was just as Alice had promised. That Saturday morning, the rain was relentless, crashing down upon the swollen earth in buckets full. It was then that I set out from my room, walking straight past Mrs Rochester without a word. I was drenched by two minutes, silken hair hanging down around my face in long strands that I had to shove away from my face.

The forest was eerily quiet, gaps of silence filled by the clattering of rain against leaves. The symphony of bird song up in the canopy was void, hiding from the harsh weather that would undoubtedly continue. Dark mist clung to the trees, slipping between their hollow branches like a serpent. Across the rocky ledges, gushes of rainwater fled toward lower ground in one hurried push. 

I ran rapidly, feet barely kissing the soft moss of the ground. My arms zipped back and forth, barely creating heat as they brushed against my waist. Once in my life I would have been in awe of my legs, moving so fast that they were a simple blur of blue, flying forward with such elegant lightness that would only ever be possible for something like me. I was made for it. The running, the exhilarating feeling as my hair whipped against the force of the wind that battled against my speed. We were made for it. It was the only thing that had ever felt natural, in despite of things. Perhaps that's why I let myself go, calling out as I sprinted, arms flowing through the air and dodging around trees.

The whole idea about the event I would soon be reaching was... overwhelming. Alice and her family were like any other family, except far more extraordinary than anyone could ever imagine. I would be lying if I said I didn't think about it: the feeling of found family, the fun moments spent testing each other's ability. There was so much that I wanted to know that they could give me, like why, with their gifts, the Cullens couldn't see straight through my facade.

But like any other time, Alice's striking scent took of the power of the wind, sending my sliding to a stop. From past the trees, a vast field spread, exposed to the battering gusts and the rain, which had softened to little more than a drizzle. I let my eyes wander across the space, noting each figure that stood on the pitch.

Alice was at the centre- I'd noticed her first out of anything, bending with a feline like movement as she reached for the ball by her feet. Then she stood abruptly, glancing my way. I hadn't realised the others were already on edge, bothered by my abnormal scent that was carried with the breeze.

Edward was stiff, body ridged with unease. From behind him, Bella peaked out confused, dark hair tucked into a baseball cap, a thick coat hugging her small frame. I frowned- it was almost as if I'd forgot all about my real purpose to being there on the field.  But I'd suspected long before leaving my room that my reason had nothing to do with Bella and all to do with myself and my selfish wants.