12. 𝔪𝔞𝔡𝔪𝔞𝔵

TW: There's kind of like a mini panic attack in the beginning I think so if that triggers you, Im gonna put a '...' before it happens and once the scene is over

"God damn it!" 13-year-old, Y/n Byers cursed, flipping the mattress up off her bed frame as her twin brother, Will Byers watched her from the sidelines of their shared bedroom with his wide brown eyes

"Y/n, it's fine! We have enough money, I promise!" Will guaranteed her, trying to get her to stop since they were bound to be late at this point.

"No, we don't! Dustin has four quarters and we have four each, Will!" She tried justifying it, looking under the mattress to find nothing but a sock and a paperclip. She groaned, loudly, dropping the mattress back onto the frames with a thud causing Will to wince slightly.

"It's not a competition and in case you've forgotten we still have to go pick Bradley and Iris up. We're already running late!" Will whined, his head following her as she moved across the room to their dresser, reaching up to see if there was any coins on top of it.

"Yes it is. Trust me, baby brother, I know what I'm talking about. Dustin told me that if I find more money than him then he'll give me his Ballblazer game for as long as I want it. I've been wanting to play for forever but he never lets me." Y/n explained, circling through the room, searching up and down through every inch for a quarter.

"Ball... blazer? What is that?" Will asked, scrunching his eyebrows up. His sister looked to him as she walked across the room, "And I'm only a minute younger than you so don't call me that."

Y/n got down on the floor to look under Will's bed, on her hands and knees, "Two minutes!" She corrected, her voice a bit muffled, it was echoing down under the bed frame and then moving through the room, "It's the Atari game that came out in March. He got it right when it came out and he's too big of an ass to let me play it."

There right in front of her was a quarter that looked almost buried to the carpeted floor. "Yes!" She exclaimed, reaching out until she felt the cold metal of it and picked it up. She jumped to her feet, almost hitting her head on the bed frame. "Let's go." She smiled at her relieved brother.

>>>

The Byers car parked right in front of the Palace Arcade in Hawkins, Indiana. Mike Wheeler, Lucas Sinclair, and Dustin Henderson caught the sight of the 1976 Ford Pinto that had pulled up right in front of them.

"Okay." Joyce Byers muttered, turning to Will, who sat in the front seat of their car before turning to Y/n and then Bradley and Iris Patel who all sat in the back seat, "I'll pick you four up in two hours. That's 9:00 on the dot, okay?"