Chapter 15 (Part 1)

Chapter 15

Moving Forward

*Derek*

I sit on the edge of what has become Arabella's bed. She looks at me, somewhat skeptically.

"Really?" She asks. "Just like that?"

"Just like that. I hate this riff that's formed between us. It's not worth it. I'll answer any question you have." I pat the space beside me, and she sits. She bites her lip nervously but there's a glint of excitement in her eyes. My heart sinks a little. She's so eager to get through my walls and learn about me when we've been together for five years. It hurts even more that I can't tell her the complete truth. But even though I have to tweak the truth a little, if it'll make her happy, it'll make me happy.

"I guess I'll start with the question that's been on my mind for years." My brow raises. "Who is Gavin to you, really? Why does he never come around if you two are so close? Why doesn't Christine know about him if you've been friends for so long? How..."

"Slow down." I say with a smile. "You have to give me a chance to answer."

"Sorry." She apologizes. "I'm just excited. Go ahead." Her gaze locks with mine as she waits eagerly for me to answer.

"Gavin's relationship with me is a little complicated." I answer honestly. "He falls under a few categories. Friend, father, protector, boss... He's a lot of things. In many ways he's saved my life. He found me one night after a pretty bad beating from Frank. I'd run away from home and he found me curled up on the side of the street bloodied and bruised. He brought me to his place and cleaned me up. I remember he kept asking me questions about what happened, but I refused to say anything. I used to have this idea where if I told anyone about what was happening at home, Frank would find out and kill me." Arabella suddenly takes my hand in hers and the contact sends a rush of heat through me. It's only been a week since I've touched her, but it feels like an eternity. "Anyway," I continue, getting myself together. "Gavin eventually figured it out. He didn't call the cops though. It was as if he knew my fear of Frank finding out. Instead he gave me a safe haven. I spent most of my time at his place. He fed me, clothed me, gave me a place to sleep even."

"He was more of a father to you than Frank was." Arabella says, more to herself than to me.

"He did what he could." I reply. "That's actually how I met Jace. He had a similar home situation. Gavin kind of took him in too, but Jace was older and could mostly handle himself. He didn't need Gavin as much as I did. But nevertheless, we were like brothers." A shudder runs up my spine at the thought of Jace and his betrayal.

"But why? Why would he take in two random kids? I mean sure you needed help, but doesn't that seem odd to you?"

Anyone who doesn't know the real Gavin would think him taking in two kids and raising them would be strange. But Gavin has always been a businessman. He figured out a way to increase his sales without increasing the risk of being caught. What cop would suspect kids selling drugs?

"Maybe it's weird, but everything turned out okay. I probably wouldn't even be here if it weren't for him."

"If he means that much to you, why have you never introduced him to Christine? Shouldn't she meet the man that raised you?"

"No." I reply immediately. "Christine believed I survived Frank on my own. She had no idea about Gavin and she didn't need to. Honestly after she ran Frank off, I still went to Gavin's to get away. Being around her wasn't much better. The less she knew about my safe haven, the better."