Chapter 3 - Maine

I could smell the trees and air before we finished materializing outside the city of Blue Hill, my hometown. I smiled when the view of the town sign came into view first, then the forest behind it. I was finally back home after 8 long years. I could feel my stomach do flips inside me as I realized for the first time in a while that I was nervous to see them, my human family.

"This town reminds me of Mystic Falls. Small and in the middle of nowhere." Damon said to me as he started walking towards the town.

"It may be in the middle of nowhere, but it is easier to protect people that way, off the grid," I told him, moving to catch up to him. I could feel the energy around grow and grow as we got closer to town.

"Ooof" Damon muttered as he seemed to hit an invisible barrier. He stopped and was not walking any further. I looked at him in confusion.

"Care to share with the class, Damon?" I asked him, walking up next to him.

"I can't seem to step forward. Something is stopping me." He replied holding up his hand and trying to push in front of him but couldn't get further then a few inches. I held my hand and I was able to extend my arm all the way out, way past what Damon could do. Then the realization hit me.

"It's the barrier I created before I traveled to New Orleans, over 8 years ago," I told Damon as all the energy from the barrier filled me up.

"I though witch spells ended when they died," Damon told me.

"Ah, but a smart witch I am, I anchored the spell to Alex, my brother, so in the event of my death the barrier would stand. It's his death that would end the spell, not mine," I told him, grabbing his hand and letting the energy flow over him to grant him access past the barrier.

Damon smiled as I pulled him through the barrier; once we were through I knew the sounds of town would hit his ears. The barrier also made it so the sounds don't travel as far, so vampires couldn't hear past the barrier, a safety precaution.

"Where to first, Darling?" Damon asked me.

"Home," I told him, pulling him towards town.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Walking up to the house of my parents " Kalvin and Amy Lancaster" brought back distant memories. They weren't really my parents, I was actually their ancestor that has protected them since the day they were born, along with the two children they bore, Alexander and Trudie. Jepsy was Alex's wife and was a vampire like him, and from what I learned from Sheila Bennet, Trudie was pregnant. Seeing as she was 14 the last time I saw her, that made her 22 now.

I could feel my palms become more sweaty as I walked up to the house. My hands flew to my hair to fix it before I gained enough courage to actually knock on the door.

"Knocking?" Damon questions.

"I don't think the daughter they thought was dead should just walk in," I told him, finally knocking.

I tilted my head waiting for some noises before realizing I was not a vampire anymore, I wasn't going to be able to hear the faint sounds of footsteps or hushed talking anymore.

The door opening made me jump a bit and I scolded myself for getting scared. I knocked on a door, did I expect it not to open? Damon placed him hand over mine in what I assume was to comfort me.

I heard a gasp as I looked at the face of the person who answered the door.

"Kalvin, it's great to see you again," I told Kalvin. He has definity aged greaty over the last 8 years. I noticed the greying in his beard and hair, and his posture has gotten worse.