[ CHAPTER SEVENTY-FIVE ]

2010, Mystic Falls

Peering down at her pristinely manicured nails, cuticles nowhere to be seen and nails painted with a clear varnish, a small smile spread across Astrid's lips as she leaned back against the headboard of her- or should she say Nik's- bed. 

After the rather eventful row in the living room, Astrid had decided to retreat to the confines of her bedroom, escaping before Niklaus could come back from his private talk with Esther.

Astrid couldn't deny she was curious of what Esther would have been discussing with Niklaus, however, her attempts to eavesdrop had been foiled by the thick smell of sage drifting underneath Esther's office. Perhaps Esther had something to hide? 

"Love-" Astrid was snapped out of her thoughts by the sound of a fist rasping against the door, knocking politely before Nik's heavy accent met her ears.

Throwing her head back in frustration, an exhausted huff left Astrid's lips. She was tired of this. Truthfully, she wasn't entirely sure how long she could stay around Nik, knowing she'd fall back into old habits with his sweet words and undeniable charm.

Part of her was tempted to leave town, but she wasn't entirely sure where she'd go. 

Perhaps she'd travel, maybe even Rebekah would accompany her, if not she could track down Katerina- an idea she quickly dismissed. Katerina had most likely changed over the years, the paranoia of being hunted like an animal did that to you...

Maybe she'd go to Italy, she'd always loved it there, the culture, the environment, the weather... 

Or maybe she'd even go somewhere she's never visited before, though there were little places Astrid hadn't been.

She could even go to New Orleans, pay tribute to her darling boy and see what had become of the city she'd once cherished. The idea was tempting, though being in New Orleans without Marcel seemed wrong. 

Before she could further entertain the idea of returning home to New Orleans, the bedroom door was pushed open, a sheepish Niklaus standing on the other side. 

Narrowing her eyes at his uninvited invasion, Astrid pushed her legs off the bed, moving to face him.

"And if I had been indecent?" Astrid snapped frostily, crossing her arms as Niklaus practically founded.

Warily stepping into the room and closing the door behind him, Nik sent Astrid a small smile, despite her harsh glare and frosty gaze. "I mean, it's uh, nothing I haven't seen before, love-" Niklaus began, smile fading when Astrid's gaze hardened.

Judging from the unamused scowl on Astrid's lips, he hadn't said the right thing... 

"And it's something you're not going to see again." Astrid snapped curly, crossing her arms over her chest as Niklaus sighed.

Slowly, Nik gently sat beside Astrid on the bed, his leg brushing against hers. Much to his relief, Astrid didn't shuffle away at the contact, instead sighing in frustration.

"What did your mother want you to talk to me about then?" Astrid hummed knowingly, arching a brow as she allowed her arms to fall to her sides.

Nik hesitated, tongue swiping against his lower lip temptingly. "She wanted me to see where you stand about the ball tonight, about your date..." Niklaus admitted, his voice uncharacteristically hallow. 

"Let me guess, she wants me to go with you." Astrid snorted knowingly, shaking her head.

She shouldn't have been surprised, Esther's values were much older and more traditional than her own. 

Despite Astrid's separation from Nik, Esther still saw the two as legally married and no doubt expected Astrid to attend the ball with Nik, playing the role of a perfect house wife. 

Niklaus nodded, his warm ocean gaze never leaving the woman he loved. "She did, but I told her no."

Astrid raised her brows in surprise. "No?"

"I told mother dearest you needed space and I imagine the last thing you want to do right now is attend a ball with a narcissistic, idiotic wanker who ruined his only chance at happiness." Niklaus snorted, tone lowering as Astrid's lips parted.

Ignoring the sinking feeling in her stomach, Astrid bit her lower lip. "Nik..."

Klaus forced a smile, letting out a chuckle. "Don't worry, love."

"No, Nik. I-" Astrid hesitated, what was she doing?!

Before she could even register her own words, they poured from her lips. "I'll go with you- as a friend." 

Niklaus raised his brows, surprise coating his features. "Love, you don't have too. I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable." 

Astrid shook her head, placing her hand on his. "It's okay." She smiled as Niklaus smiled brightly at her, as his fingertips brushed against hers, Astrid's gaze snapped down to their almost interlocked hands.

Realising her mistake, Astrid pulled her hand away, sending him a smile. "Well, I should start getting ready then."

...

Esther Mikaelson stared down at the map determinedly, the six names on the family tree staring up at her as the smell of sage filled the room. Finn, who was sitting at the desk opposite her, wearing his suit, seemed quieter than usual.

Frowning, Esther glanced at her eldest son. "Is something wrong?" She questioned sharply, watching as Finn jolted at her tone.

He seemed to have been lost in thought as his gaze darted to the blonde woman. "Nothing mother."

"Finn, I am your mother, I can tell something is bothering you. Please, tell me." Esther urged, practically feeling the anxiety that radiated off the original.

Finn hesitated, licking his lips. "It's tonight." He admitted.

"What of it?" Esther frowned, eyes hardening at the prospect of Finn backing out- betraying her. 

No, Finn wouldn't do that. He was loyal to his mother's cause, he knew that they had be rid off like the vermin they were. He hated his curse, he always had and Esther would forever feel guilty for burdening all her children with it, but especially Finn.

"What if it doesn't work?" Finn mumbled as Esther sighed.

Folding the parchment up neatly, Esther shook her head, sending Finn a comforting smile. "Finn, my son, do not worry. Miss Gilbert will supply me with a droplet of blood tonight, you and your siblings shall drink the champagne and I will do the rest. You do not need to worry about anything other than keeping this from your siblings." Esther soothed.

The frown never left Finn's lips. "But Astrid isn't related by blood, are you sure it will work?"

Esther chuckled. "A linking spell is a linking spell, as long as everyone drinks the champagne the plan will all fall into place. Besides, I have a little extra something to take care of Astrid, you needn't worry."

...

comment and vote for more:), also thank you for 500K!!