⤷ 13| O.W.L.s

chapter thirteen : o

chapter thirteen : o.w.l.s

☆ ☆ ☆

The O.W.L.s were a real pain in the ass, of that, June was sure. The black haired girl sat on the floor of her dormitory, the floor covered in books. Both Angelina and Alicia were studying with her.

"I'd rather break my ribs again than to study for O.W.L.s," June groaned, as she read the summary she had made for Charms, the exam they had tomorrow.

"I'd rather have you break your ribs again, too, if that means not having O.W.L.s," Angelina said, yawning.

"Jeez, thanks," June said, rubbing her forehead. "I don't understand why the Professors can't just examinate us. All my sweet talk was for nothing."

"And that's exactly why they don't examinate us," Alicia said, amused. "But don't worry, June, I'm sure you don't need sweet talk to pass."

"Let's hope you're right."

☆ ☆ ☆

Once breakfast was over the next day, the fifth- and seventh-years milled around in the Entrance Hall while the other students went off to their lessons; then, at half past nine, they were called forwards class by class to re-enter the Great Hall.

The four house tables had been removed and replaced instead with many tables for one, all facing the staff-table end of the Hall where Professor McGonagall stood facing them. When June and the others were all seated and quiet, she said, "You may begin," and turned over an enormous hourglass on the desk beside her, on which there were also spare quills, ink bottles and rolls of parchment.

Juniper turned over her paper and lowered her eyes to the first question: a) Give the incantation and b) describe the wand movement to make objects fly.

June smiled. She knew this one. Bending over, she started to write.

"Well, it wasn't too bad, was it?" Alicia said two hours later, as she, Angelina and June stood in the Entrance Hall. They were soon joined by Fred, George and Lee, and the six of them ate lunch with the rest of the school in the Great Hall. Then they trooped off into the small chamber beside the Great Hall, where they were to wait until called for their practical examination. As small groups of students were called forwards in alphabetical order, those left behind muttered incantations and practiced wand movements.

"Black, Juniper," Professor Flitwick called and June stood up from where she had been sitting with her friends. After receiving a good luck from them, she walked into the Great Hall, clutching her wand so tightly her hand shook.

"Professor Tofty is free, Black," Professor Flitwick squeaked, who was standing just inside the door. He pointed June towards what looked like the very oldest and baldest examiner who was sitting behind a small table in a far corner.