CHAPTER 15

Az
Song: Soaring- Bazzi

As promised, I have to visit Ken today. Why did I propose that in the first place?

On most Saturdays and Sundays, Gramps goes out with some of his old friends to play golf. I don't know where it is because I never agree to go along with him even though he always insists I should. He did say it is found somewhere close to our village- just before the airport here in Bamenda. Picture me spending a whole day with three rich old men who have grown bored of their wealth, I'll rather sit at home all day and count the strands of hair on my legs.
When I wake up, it's 11:14 am already.

I was up the entire night watching the last six episodes of Thirteen Reasons Why season two. I finally got some sleep by 6am and I hated the way the season wrapped up.
I wish Tyler just blew Monte's brains out. Fuck Clay and Tony for stopping him, that piece of shit deserved to die.

I head downstairs to make myself a bowl of cereal. Looking out the window, I can see Tabitha drying up my laundry from last week. She's already made the house spotless and has a pot cooking on the stove. At what time does she even wake up? I don't think I could ever work this much.

Kenfack's house is a twenty minutes drive from here and I'm not at all in a mood to drive so I'll probably just take a cab.

...

"Tabitha, I have to be somewhere." I say coming down the stairs. "I don't know when I'll be back. So just... don't lock the door."

"OK madam." She answers and checks whatever it is she has cooking.

I walk out the gate and break the first taxi I see.

"Na for wuside?"

"Up station." I answer.

"Wuside for up station?"

"I don't know the name of the street. You'll just keep driving till we can spot it."

"That means say you go hire the whole taxi noh?"

"Apparently" I answer entering the cab.

"You know sey you go pay me like 5000 noh? Because distance from Foncha Street to up station far." I know he's doubling the fare, probably because he saw the house I just got out of but I am in no mood to get into an argument at the moment.

"Just drive" I say.

"E means sey I don get ma correct passenger this Saturday afternoon." He says happily and drives off.

While we ride on, I notice he keeps looking at me through the rear mirror.

"Haven't you ever heard that it's impolite to stare?" I question.

"Sorry oh." He says and I roll my eyes. Moments later, I look up and he still has his eyes on my reflection on the mirror.

"What on earth is your problem?"

"Nothing oh." He says

"If you can't keep your eyes on the road, then you can drop me off. I won't be in a car crash because of your carelessness." I scold him.

"No vex abeg." He pleads. "The thing na sey, I nodi understand how you fit dress so then commot your house."

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I ask folding my arms.

"Nothing oh." He answers and fixes his cap. Does he have to add 'oh' to everything he says?

"What do you mean nothing? You just said you don't get why I'm dressed like this." he looks at me again and smiles.