50 | The One With Elysium

"What in the world?!" Madhav exclaims as they get down from the train at the Ernakulam Railway Station towards sunset.

Sivaji was standing near the newspaper stall holding a board with the word 'CHELLAMS' written over it in big, bolded letters. Sivaji was wearing a black shirt along with a denim jean.

"Is that your friend, Sivaji?" Shree asks holding Madhu's hand.

"Yes, it is." Madhav says as Sivaji finally spots him.

"Ah! There he is!" Sivaji exclaims in happiness. "My Chellam Madhav and his chellam! How are you machan, it's been so long, and man you look like a hawt sugar daddy with them glasses!"

"Okay, you better watch the language, because my little one is watching." Madhav says as he hugs Sivaji.

Sivaji looks at Madhu. "Oh my god, this is my chellam and his chellam's kutty chellam AKA Madhushree?"

"They call me Kannamma." Madhu says as Sivaji ruffles her hair.

"Nice to meet you, your father has told a lot about you." He says and takes the luggage from Shree.

"So how have you been, Sivaji?" Shree asks. "How's Anu?"

"Exactly, how's Sweety?" Madhav asks. "And the kids?"

"Sweety has been good. She's into photography and she made you'll some delicious chicken biriyani." Sivaji says as they walk towards the carpark. He opens the car's rear and loads all the luggage. "Madhavan is turning nine next month. Mayura and Bhanu are learning Ballet. Vasu is starting school in a few weeks. Damn, these kids are growing up so fast machan. Look at your own daughter. It feels like yesterday that I came for your wedding reception, and now your daughter is old enough to go to preschool."

"We need to start talking about sending Madhu to preschool." Shree whispers to Madhav as they get into the car.

"So, all buckled up?" Sivaji asks as he gets into the driver's seat. "It's going to be a long and twisted journey to Elysium. It takes six hours, but I'll try to reduce it to four."

"Dei, baby on board da. You take your time and drive safely." Madhav says.

* * * * *

Madhu look out and notices the raindrops that race down the windows of the car and a thin layer of mist formed above the window. Madhu smiles to herself and traces her finger on the window, wiping the mist as her fingers form a comical version of herself. She draws a girl wearing a knee length frock, a round face, big almond sized eyes, a pair of skinny limbs and long straight hair. She draws two more bigger people; one wearing a frock similar to her's and the other wearing tee-shirt and trousers.

"Marshall! Marshall! Drive the fire truck." Madhu sings as she draws another unusual creature beside her. "Marshall! Marshall! Drive the fire truck. Ding ding ding ding ding!"

As she finishes, she places her palm near the image of herself. She takes her soft toy Marshall to her lap and shows him the picture she drew.

"Look that's us!" She says. "That's Nanna, Amma, me and you. Except I wish you were real."

She shrugs and sings out loud. "Marshall! Marshall! Turn the corner! Marshall! Marshall! Turn the corner! Marshall! Marshall! Climb the ladder! Ding ding ding-"

"Madhu, Amma is trying to sleep!" Shree tells Madhu with eyes closed. Madhu hums the song to herself as she slowly pat's Marshall's big head. After an hour of kicking her legs in the air, playing with her toys and chewing on her fingers she turns to Shree.