Chapter 28-The Last Debate (Edited)

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening."

Gandalf looked gravely at those gathered in the hall. Everyone there felt helpless knowing that they could do no more for Frodo and Sam as they made their way towards Mount Doom.

"If Sauron had the Ring we would know it," said Aragorn defiantly.

He looked towards Salandiel who was leaning against one of the pillars. She blushed as he looked at her, remembering what had happened between them the previous night.

"It's only a matter of time," replied Gandalf, "He has suffered defeat, yes, but behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping."

"Let him stay there!" exclaimed Gimli, "Let him rot! Why should we care?"

"Because 10,000 orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom."

As the company came to realise the graveness of Gandalf's words, Gandalf muttered to himself, "I've sent him to his death."

Aragorn, still determined as ever, turned to face Gandalf head on.

"No. There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that."

"How?" questioned Gimli.

Understanding exactly what Aragorn had in mind, Salandiel spoke up.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands."

They all looked to her in shock. Taking on the mighty forces of Sauron was folly but Aragorn was pleased to know that he wasn't the only one who thought to storm Mordor.

"Exactly," replied Aragorn, "Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

Gimli choked on his pipe as Eomer stepped forward.

"We cannot achieve victory through the strength of arms."

"Not for ourselves," replied Aragorn, "But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves."

"A diversion," piped in Legolas.

Gimli spoke up, "Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?"

Salandiel smiled knowing that she would have Gimli and Legolas fighting by her side.

Gandalf spoke low. 

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait."

"Oh, I think he will," replied Aragorn.

He looked to Salandiel and a moment of understanding passed between them.

~~~~~

Aragorn stood in the vast hall surrounded by the Great Kings of Old. Their stone faces looked so regal, centuries of history being entombed in their structure. As Aragorn dressed, preparing for battle, he looked at the magnificent statues wondering if he would ever live to be a great king that would be honoured in this great hall. Lost in his thoughts, Aragorn didn't hear the soft footsteps coming towards him from behind. He turned around, stunned to see Salandiel standing in front of him, proudly showcasing the The White Tree, the emblem of Gondor, on her chest. Her hair was tied back, her shoulders proud, and she looked every bit of what a captain should be.

Salandiel noticed how Aragorn wore the The White Tree on his chest as well. Salandiel's heart grew with pride as she looked at the man she didn't realize how much she loved, the man that she would go to war with and even die for.

Without hesitation, Salandiel rushed to throw her arms around Aragorn as he brought her in for a deep kiss. They kissed as if this was their last kiss; so deep and loving it was.

Unwillingly pulling away from the kiss, Aragorn looked deep into Salandiel's eyes, trying to convey all he felt for her through his gaze.

Salandiel took a deep breath, not wanting to let her fear show, but Aragorn saw right through her facade.

"Salandiel?" he questioned.

Looking down, Salandiel spoke softly; so softly that Aragorn almost didn't hear what she said.

"I'm afraid."

Aragorn brought her head up to look into her eyes and said, "Me too."

Salandiel sighed and continued.

"I feel that everything I have done and worked for has led up to this moment. I'm most afraid of disappointing my father."

"Salandiel, you are one of the greatest warriors I have ever known," said Aragorn, cupping her face, "You have proved to me, your country and most especially your father that you are a great leader who wishes only to serve her people. And one day in the far future, when you meet him in the Halls of your Fathers, he will look at you with only pride and love for his daughter, a true warrior of Gondor."

Salandiel could find no words. Aragorn had truly touched her and she felt the tears welling up in her eyes. Aragorn gently kissed her on the forehead and took her into his warm embrace.

"It has been a long journey," said Aragorn, remembering all that had led up to this moment.

"But a journey well worth it," smiled Salandiel, enjoying the feel of Aragorn's arms around her.

"They truly are magnificent," said Salandiel, detaching herself from Aragorn and turning her attention towards the great statues.

Aragorn also looked up to gaze at them.

"Truly magnificent," said Aragorn, who had turned to face Salandiel as he said those words.

"One day a statue shall be put up to honour you as well," said Salandiel, "It shall be put up to honour a true and great King of Gondor."

Salandiel looked to see the smile grow on Aragorn's face as he felt his heart grow with pride.

"And one day," replied Aragorn, "tales and legends shall be told of the mighty Salandiel, Captain of Gondor."

Author's Note: Oh my gosh! We're nearing the end of the story and I didn't think that I would be this sad to see it coming to an end. Thanks to those who have voted or commented and for those who have stuck it this far with me. I didn't even think that people would read this story so it really is awesome to see some readers; I truly am grateful for you.

So, if you liked this chapter, please vote or leave that comment.

Much love!