Chapter Thirty Three

Be grateful for every second of every day  that you get to spend with the people you live. Life is so precious. - Mandy Hale 

I watched in silence as I saw the woman I knew as my aunt.

She was clearly younger and in a white gown, a wedding gown.

We watched as she glided down the aisle full of people towards an unknown man.

This was a wedding video, and it was dated about a year after she disappeared.

Could she really be alive after all this time?

I nearly jumped out of my skin when the home phone rang beside me.

Motioning for Jon to pause the video, I got up and moved to answer the phone.

"Hello?"

"Hello, is this the Masterson residence?" An unfamiliar voice asked.

"Yes, who am I speaking to?"

"This is the Memorial Hospital calling."

The hospital? Why would they be calling?

"What's wrong?" I saw Jon mouth.

I shrugged.

"Okay. May I ask why you are calling?"

"I was hoping to speak to a relative of a Mrs. Avril Masterson."

"I'm her daughter."

"Oh. Well, I'm sorry to inform you but not too long ago your mother was involved in an accident."

The word "accident" kept repeating in my head.

"Hello?! Hello, are you still there?"

"Yes," I sniffed. "I'm here. I'll be there as soon as I can. Thank you, bye."

I didn't even feel myself set the phone down, all I could feel was how hard my hands were trembling, how heavy my legs felt as I tried to take a step.

"Harley, what's wrong?!" He rushed over, just in time to catch me as my body sank to the floor.

"What is it? Who was on the phone?"

All I managed to get out was "Mom" and "Hospital."

"I'm so sorry Harley. Do you want me to go with you?"

I nodded,not trusting myself to form a coherent sentence.

He slowly helped me back to my feet and guided me towards the door, where he helped me put on my shoes.

Through all of this, all I could think of is how I'd lost my dad and how I might lose my mom in the exact same way.

I felt my feet leave the ground and heard the front door open as he carried me next door to his house.

Fiddling with his pocket, he pulled out his keys and managed to insert them into the lock, pushing open his door.

"Esmeralda! Esmeralda! I need your help, please?"

Upon hearing his voice, Esmeralda rushed into the foyer.

"Jon? Jon, what is it? Oh dear lord. What happened?"