Chapter Sixty Nine (nice)

"I'm telling you! She ate the whole thing!"
I levelled Lee with a flat look, "There is no way that she did, you're talking utter bullshit"
"Fred, George, back me up c'mon"
Fred hummed for a minute, arm around my shoulders as he pretended to think hard, finally giving a big shrug, "I don't know man, I don't remember seeing that"
"You're such a liar!" Lee shrieked, turning instead to George, "You saw it, you did!"
Copying his brother, George shrugged, a barely restrained smile on his face, "I'm sorry but I-"
"This is ridiculous! She totally did!" Lee cried, looking at us exasperatedly.
As the three continued to argue, I was distracted by a shriek coming from further down the Gryffindor table, Hermione rushing past a few moments later with her hands cradled in front of her.
Frowning, I leant over the table, gesturing my confusion to Harry and Ron. In response they held up some badly made hate mail, some raw bubotober pus spilling on the table.
"Hateful wretches" I muttered, clenching my fist with rage.
"Hey- hey, what's going on?" Fred asked, backing out of the argument and placing his hand over mine.
"Some spiteful bitches are sending Hermione hate letters because of the stories about her and Harry in the paper" I hissed, "she's just a child! These are grown adults sending a child hate mail... who does that?"
Grip tightening slightly on my hand, Fred uttered some choice words, glaring at the table strongly.
"some people are just real sacks of shit" he said, "The best thing you can do for her is be there"
I sighed, dropping as the anger left my body, head falling to rest in the crook of his neck, "I - you're becoming the voice of reason and it's scaring me"
"It should, it's scaring me"

"Cedric, hi. I haven't heard from you in a while" I smiled, "What brings you to Bethany and I during this fine herbology lesson?"
"I need advice on girls?"
"Well you've come to the right place" Beth laughed, attempting to flip her shearing tongs with one hand and just barely avoiding slicing her finger off as she dropped them, "We are good with the knowing things about ladies"
"And advice! What is it you need to know?"
Cedric steadied his breath, "How do I know what to get Cho for her birthday?"
At that, Bethany burst out laughing, "So called god with women and you don't know how to woo them?"
"He has the face" I reasoned, "guess he doesn't need much else"
"True, true. Heaven forbid he dates someone for longer than a month"
"Oh the horror!"
Cedric shushed us, looking decently flustered, "I am not that bad with relationships!" he broke off, seeing our disbelieving faces, "I'm not this serial dater that you make me out to be!"
"Mhm, sure, ok. How many ladies have you dated since Fourth Year"
"Uh, I'd say probably 8?"
"And how many of those relationships lasted over a month?"
At this, Cedric stalled, mouth slightly agape.
"We got him" Beth giggled, "He knows there's no escape from this"
"He's screwed"
"No! Wait! Rosalind in Fifth year - that was two months!"
"You weren't dating the whole two, dumbass" I snorted, "doesn't count"
Beth huffed a laugh, "commitmentphobe"

 "We got him" Beth giggled, "He knows there's no escape from this""He's screwed""No! Wait! Rosalind in Fifth year - that was two months!""You weren't dating the whole two, dumbass" I snorted, "doesn't count"Beth huffed a laugh, "commitmentphobe"

"I didn't come over here to be attacked like this" he huffed, pretending to move to walk away.
I laughed, hitting his shoulder lightly, "Aw suck it up, pretty boy. We're shocked that you're actually putting thought into this is all"
"Wow thanks"
Bethany laughed, "Well you need to think of what she likes"
"Likes?"
"Yes you idiot. You've been talking to her for a while... what's something that she likes doing, a hobby perhaps"
"Uhhhhh"
Beth and I exchanged glances as he struggled, hiding our giggles behind our plants. Seeing this, Cedric groaned.
"Stop laughing at me and help!"
"Okay, okay I'm sorry" I said, calming down, "I think I heard Harry say that she's into astronomy, so why don't you look into that kind of stuff?"
"Astronomy. I can do that" Cedric nodded, "I'll just get her a star chart-"
"No. Boring. Think again" Beth barked, whacking Cedric's arm with a glove, "Think bigger"
"Uhhh, a telescope?"
"Realistic, Cedric"
"If you are quite done" Professor Sprout called, standing behind Cedric disapprovingly, "Get back to your work please, those dead leaves won't prune themselves"
As Cedric went to move back to his station, Sprout stopped him for a moment, "And if you're still struggling with finding a present... perhaps she'll like the Night-blooming cereus, it's a muggle flower that only blooms under the moonlight"
"Thank you Professor" Cedric smiled, walking over to his desk to quickly jot down the name.
Turning to the two of us, she stroked the bulb of my Alihotsy plant, "I know you're trying to help your friend, but please do it outside of class hours... though you have done quite a good job on this one, well done"
"Why thanks Prof"
As she walked back to the front, Beth and I exchanged smiles.
"Look at Cedric growing up"
"He's found a keeper this time that's for sure" I mused, plucking a particularly stubborn dead leaf from my plant.
Beth snorted, twirling the pruning shears, "She's a seeker, silly"