CHP 23

Jimin's eyes flutter gently as the intrusive fluorescent hospital lights rain down on his tired figure and ashen skin. His hair disarray shifts even further against the cloth white pillowcase as he twists his head, eyes falling on the IV drip stuck in his inner elbow.

The man grimaces to a small extent as he cradles the side of his head, detecting a prospering throb. He doesn't remember anything after passing out in the arms of Officer Jeon. And so he can recall how ludicrous he had been moments prior, just begging Kai to end his life. It was a moment of pure vanquish - the need to be put to rest.

He realizes that he doesn't want any of that now. He wants to stay and perhaps a pinch of gratitude lingers in his chest for the policeman; however, that definitely doesn't mean he'd forgotten just how wrongly he'd been treated by the man the last couple of days.

Jimin isn't too sure what to do as he scans the empty hospital room. What's his reaction going to be the moment he sees Jeongguk? Will Jeongguk even stop by to see him or did he just save him and now they're never gonna talk to each other again?

He supposes that maybe it isn't such a bad idea. Surely the policeman needs time and the more Jimin associates with him, he's only going to make problems for the both of them worse. Jeongguk won't be able to move on if the teacher is the constant reminder of his wife's death.

God knows that's all Jimin will be reminded of when he looks into Officer Jeon's eyes. His dead wife.

The man doesn't even realize he's crying until he feels a tear curl down the curve of his jaw. He doesn't feel well in quite possibly every aspect. His mental health is waning and he can sense as well as tell the difference in his weight already. It's been hard to eat since he has the tendency to throw everything up. Even the process of drinking water is taxing.

A shaky sigh parts Jimin's lips. He hovers his hands above his thighs and watches with heavy eyes as they tremble incessantly. The sporadic movements are somehow hypnotizing and he's zoning out, pulling on his bottom lip.

Soon a different pair of much larger hands land on his own, eclipsing them and holding them still. He peers up and the first sentiment to spike through him, straight to his widening eyes is fear. Jeongguk is looking at him deeply; a mixture between sympathy and guilt.

His shaking hands only seem to increase in vigor but they're gripped tighter in hold. Jimin can see his reflection in Jeongguk's eyes and it frightens him. Surely this is what the policeman sees when looking at him, right? A murderer. A cold hearted killer.

"P-please, Jeongguk. I d-didn't mean to, I--"

Jimin is interrupted, being pulled into a hug. It's so swift, so firm that it nearly knocks the wind out of him but his depleted oxygen returns and soon he breathes quietly into Jeongguk's ears. However tame tears are still falling from his eyes, gliding down his splotchy cheeks to meet the man's dark blue uniform. He curls his quivering fingers around Officer Jeon's vest, pulling him closer.

This is what he's wanted for so long. To be held, even if the circumstances still don't feel completely right. Even if he still feels responsible.

But his heart still aches. The cold radiation he experienced all throughout those couple of days still linger against his skin; an inhospitable chill. As warm as Jeongguk's body is he feels as though his fingertips are digging into a glacier.

"Y-You left me," Jimin whispers into his ear quietly.

"I know I did. I'm sorry," the man apologizes sincerely.

The teacher can feel his anger boiling up. He's been toyed with and tossed around enough. A simple sorry isn't going to suffice. Not when he feels as though his heart has been ripped from his chest and stomped on.