05 - Not an Accident

The day was September 2nd, 1995, the first day of classes for the students of Hogwarts.

Having been practically dragged out of her bed that morning, Ellie wasn't in her usually bubbly mood. Hermione had come to pick her girlfriend up by the barrels bright and early, but the lessening students that emerged from the basement indicated that the Hufflepuff wasn't planning to come out any time soon. Hermione had to barge into Ellie's empty dorm to wake her up, berating her about tardiness on the first day all while helping her get ready. Ellie merely accepted her girlfriend's words, as she didn't have the heart to tell Hermione that she hadn't slept from the recurring nightmares.

Ellie sat next to Hermione in the DADA classroom, the side of her face rested upon her palm as she watched her girlfriend scribble notes on her parchment. The Hufflepuff's eyes diverted to the paper phoenix that soared over her head, having been sent into orbit by one of the Patil twins.

Without warning, the paper phoenix erupted into flames, then ashes, as its burnt corpse landed back down onto the table it had come from. The chatter died down, and everyone turned their head to the voice of the dreadfully pink professor that appeared behind them, tucking away her wand with a smirk.

"Good morning, children."

Umbridge began to approach the front of the classroom slowly, her wand withdrawn to write onto the chalkboard.

"Ordinary. Wizarding. Level. Examinations. O! W! L's! More commonly known as OWLs," Umbridge started. "Study hard, and you will be rewarded. Fail to do so, and the consequences may be severe."

The lady flicked her wand towards the stacks of books behind her, directing them to float towards the students' desks.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly uneven. But be pleased to know, from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic. Yes?"

Ellie rolled her eyes with a light scoff, already determining her hatred for the professor as she inspected the book before her. The Hufflepuff looked up from the book's cover to see Hermione raising her hand, her expression curious and confused.

"There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?" Hermione questioned.

"Using spells?" Umbridge laughed sarcastically as she approached her. "Well I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?" Ron spoke up.

"You will learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way," Umbridge answered, diverting her attention to the redhead.

"What use is that if we're gonna be attacked. It won't be risk-free," Harry countered with an irritated voice.

"Students will raise their hand when they speak in my class," Umbridge interrupted as she made her way back to the front, pausing only to turn around with another unpleasant smile. "It is the view of the Ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations, which after all is what school is all about."

"And how is theory supposed to prepare us for what's out there," Harry spat angrily, his impatience clearly evident in his rising voice.

"There is nothing out there, dear. Who do you imagine wants to attack children like yourself?"

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe, Lord Voldemort," Harry replied sarcastically.

The class quieted at the sound of his name as Hermione looked over to Harry with intention to speak up. Ellie was quick to notice and placed a reassuring hand on the outside of Hermione's thigh, halting her from interfering. Although she knew that Harry was right, Ellie just shook her head at Hermione, silently warning her of the consequences that could arise if she had said something.