Chapter 23

Jade, fully clad in her day clothes, took a look at her gold pocket watch and deemed the time respectable enough for an early breakfast. Her stomach lurched at the thought of food but she had barely eaten last night's meal and had no interest in keeling over.

She could hear the rain splatter outside, against the stone cladding of the castle and speculated whether it was safe to begin their journey. She doubted the Prince would relent to delay the trip for another day. He was desperate to save the girl as soon as possible.

Outside her guest quarters stood a guard dressed all in red and Jade wondered whether it was usual protocol or whether she was being guarded in case she made a run for it. Her fists clenched on her sides with a feral sort of aggravation. She knew she was a liar but could not dampen the indignation.

The guard led her to the nearly empty servant's table and she numbly plopped into place not caring what was dropped on her plate. The breakfast of savory buiscits and pudding was as extravagant as last night's venison with quail eggs but she could not appreciate it. Her current state of mind would not allow it.

In spite of Luke's protests she had last night's dinner with the rest of their travel companions and not the royals. With the heavy presense of soldiers looming over her she could not utter much to Dimitri, who sat across from her, except that Princess Delilah knew. Gauging by the loss of colour on his tanned face she knew he understood.

The rest of the evening she sat on an ugly satin chair, resting against the stone wall, while the royals chose to have a late meal, an indulgence of the rich who did not need the sun's rays to begin their day.

She had been introduced to the affable Duke Dorian who was wedded to the Princess Delilah. He was a handsome, solidly built fellow with a cheerful disposition. Both his colouring and personality differed from his wife.

The girl was busy ignoring her meal when the soldier sat across from her informed Jade they would not be leaving the castle early morning and the girl's shoulders slumped. She wanted to be as far away from the Princess as soon as possible. Her head throbbed with a slashing headache that only made the nausea worse. Jade let her uneaten piece of bread drop to her nearly full plate.

The guard, whose duty was to accompany Jade, led her to another wing of the castle unfamiliar to her. The furnishing certainly improved the more distance they traversed and it seemed it was time for another confrontation. Jade steeled herself as the door was opened for her.

The room was a study dominated by a vast window in front of which was a solid, dark wood desk. Princess Delilah sat at the helm, as expected, looking fresh as a lilly. It seems she was an early riser.

"I understand it is not even sun up still but we must have this conversation now. There is no point delaying it," Delilah said in lieu of a greeting. The Princess was dressed in an burgundy morning gown with curls framing her face. They moved with her every movement.

Jade came to halt behind the two chairs facing the desk and gave a stiff bow. She was in no mood for elaborate performances. The younger of the two gripped the back of the leather chair painfully enough that the decorative grooves embed themselves in her skin, leaving marks.

"The displeasure I conveyed last night has mostly to do with the palace's conduct. My brothers are not children barely out of their nappies to make such an error. They have failed most grieviosly," The Princess uttered. Jade nodded indicating she understood the veiled apology. At least the Princess was being civil which was a relief.

"I have your details right in front me and I am satisfied with the contents. You are who you say you are," Princess Delilah remarked, showing no obvious display of emotion.