Mushi

The hollow was lit by a single torch on the wall and the sun light that seeped through the short tunnel they had walked down. It wasn't quite the collection that Hata had down in the South Pole but there was a significant amount of books as scrolls laying on ledges and shelves made from the stone walls.

The man stepped aside, hoping that she wouldn't just torch the place and would actually look at what was there. Luckily, she did. Sukara walked into the room and started to move some of the papers. Eventually, her eyes landed on something that looked quite familiar. A black book with gold lining its edges. It couldn't be, she thought as she opened it to the first page, it was.

She smiled a little as she looked down at Mushi's handwriting. Mushi was her second in command, he always had been. They had had a very complicated relationship, starting as good friends but a bitterness born of fear had grown between them as the empire grew. He had always stood behind her but she always felt as though his knife had been resting on her back, waiting for her to finally fail.

Sukara flipped a page or two in and began to read.

#####

I can believe she agreed. Of course she had been apprehensive at first, even calling my idea ridiculous and saying that no one would believe me. I knew that of course, which is why I asked her to do it.

"You're full of shit Mushi," she had told me as I placed her in front of the mirror, showing her how powerful she looked after I had dressed her up in my mother's old army uniform, "no one is going to believe this. We'll get kicked out of the university for discrimination."

"Don't worry, nothing rallies people like a common enemy," I had reassured her, "and just look at you, everyone is going to love you. You'll see, just like they will, that a new order is what we need to prosper, properly. You can't have freedom without law, that's just chaos. There won't be a mother on the planet that doesn't wish their daughter was you."

That would do it. I knew it would. Her problems with her mother ran so deep that I even worried about her sometimes. Even so, all she needed was a push, she was going to be amazing at this.

#####

Sukara frowned, she had never read Mushi's journal before. She had been aware that he was manipulating her but the extent seemed to be a little greater than she had originally thought.

She flicked through the pages again to find a different passage.

#####

When I heard the voices arguing I knew I had to intervene. Sukara was such a push over when it came to Zu-Zai. She needed to put her foot down sometimes, Zu-Zai could be so disrespectful. I opened the door to Sukara's chamber's to find the table flipped out of the way and Sukara leaning over Zu-Zai who sat on the only chair left standing.

"Shall I schedule the execution?" I joked knowing that she would never kill her girlfriend. I just wanted her to be thrown in a cell for the night or something. To teach her some manners.

Her "yes" was what surprised me the most. It surprised Zu-Zai as well as she began to beg her Empress for her life.

"Are you sure?" I had asked her, trying not to be on the receiving end of her rage later on, "I only--"

"I said do it Mushi," she had snapped at me as she stormed out of the room, "she's crossed the line one too many times. She dies in the morning."