Chapter 36

Determined grey eyes stood watch of the keep below as darkness fell upon the horizon. An unsettling feeling crept up his spine with each waiting minute and his heart fluttered.

Something was wrong.

He turned to look at the row of men behind him. Ready and willing to bring down the man that caused so much grief and heartache. Battlehardened faces looked at him as they stretched and fixed their weapons and armor.

He watched Haroun, Collin and his men come closer and do the same.

"Are we ready?" he bellowed.

The clinks and gruff hurrahs followed.
He steadied the anxious stallion beneath him rearing him to face forward.

Mounted and ready for the fight in a blood curdling shout they bolted from thick forest down hill towards the keep.

Hoof beats on the ground resonated like the rumble of oncoming thunder from the clouds. With quick gallops dodging and swerving bushes they were face to face with the open entrance and with a force they charged through catching those walking in the courtyard by surprise.

They peeled in like a swarm of angry wasps and a battle ensued.

One by one each engaged in combat as steel against steel met and grunts and blows were dealt.

He had already taken down four before him, he was anxious to get to Brienna but he couldnt, the courtyard was thick in battle. One after the other, men spilled from the greathall and ran towards them.

And every corner had its group of men scuffling.

Screams and cries grew louder and women from every part of the keep ran for the entrance to escape.

Edward bypassed his last two with a quick swipe of his sword cutting them down and ran as quick as he could for the entrance to the hall.

Pushing against those that were escaping he made it through. Running for the stairs he skid to halt in time to see Defoe and his heart dropped. He held Brienna as a human shield before him, sword in hand at her neck.

**~*~*~*~*~**

"We're under attack," the guard yelled.

With an oath he looked up and watched the guard spin and run out.

He stood abruptly dragging Brienna up with him towards the open window that had a clear view of the courtyard.

Her heart dropped looking at the scene below as men peeled into the courtyard and fought. The fires lit in small heaps gave light enough for her to see who was there and all the familiar faces were ensued in a fight. The one face that graced her dreams many nights and that made her feel safe and loved, jumped from his stallion, with stealth and deadly force as he took down one after the other.
"Gavin!!!" she breathed.

Before she knew what she had done Defoe spun her around and wrapped his hand around her neck in a painful squeeze and shook her.

"So you can talk you bitch, is it you who they are here for?" he roared.

Staring at him, he saw a sparkle of a triumphant glare from her eyes.

"No, they are here for you," she spoke ardently.

With one last nervous glance out the window he turned and grabbed her, shoving her through the door. A tight grip on her hair, he dragged her down the steps with him.

Before they cleared the last steps to bolt across the greathall ,he dragged her before him as she saw Edward stop infront of them.

The cold steel of the sword pressed tightly against their throat. Her heart raced and thumped in her chest with fear. Her eyes filled with tears as she saw Edward come close with sword drawn.