Chapter 22 - How could he not be?

The rest of the Christmas holiday was actually so much fun and Erin was really happy to be back home again. Erin's mum had to work half the time, but she had made sure that she was off work for an entire week. They went to the Christmas market in their neighbourhood, went Christmas shopping, made Christmas cards and went to see a Puddlemere United game. They even brought their father with them to the game and Erin knew he was so happy about that. They helped at the local pet center when they organised their annual Holiday Charity Day, went to buy a tree and decorated it whilst their father was watching.

Erin got really close with Benjamin again. She regretted not hanging out with him much during the year, as they were in separate houses. She just now realised how much she had missed him. When her mother was at work, she'd always prepare something for her kids to do that day. One day she gave them a kit to bake Christmas cookies, she got the sled from the attic another day when it was snowing and gave them a twenty-pound bill to go ice skating downtown. Erin knew Benji was also struggling with seeing their father again, but he didn't show it. She knew he was really happy to have some distractions.

And although she was at home, it was nice to still be a little bit connected to Hogwarts every time the mailman came. She got Christmas cards from Tamsin, Michael, Anthony and all the rest of the Quidditch team. She even got a card from Oliver Wood, which she had kept very close to her ever since. It was very simple and Oliver had pretty terrible handwriting, but it was enough for her.

Hey Erin,

Very happy Christmas. Hope everything is going well with you and your family. Have a nice holiday.

x Oliver

Beatrice had gone all out again, sending her a huge box of sweets and photos of the past months at Hogwarts that she had printed out at home.

So when the train rolled out of King's Cross station again and Erin's mum was waving her kids goodbye, Erin felt both happy and really sad. She had both a home with her parents and at school and it was very difficult for her to choose.

"Girlfriend, how was your holiday? Did you get my gift?" Beatrice said, storming into the compartment. She had dyed a strand of her blonde hair black again, which was something she often did, just to be "different".

"It was good", Erin said. "It was really good."

Erin had decided to not worry about things between her and Oliver anymore. She'd just see how things would go and not pin herself down on hopes again. She was not going to have any expectations, but she also wasn't going to force herself to stop liking him. She'd just let it flow naturally, and eventually things would be alright either way.

She was a little confused when Oliver wasn't at the feast that night. His friends didn't seem confused, so there must be a reason for it, but Erin had hoped to see him again that night, thanking him for the Christmas card.

There was one very interesting development though, and that was Beatrice and Meredith, . They figured out a couple months ago that they didn't live far apart at all, and during Christmas break, they had met up to get a drink. Beatrice had kept quiet about it until they had reached their dorm room, and then all excitement burst loose.

They had kissed. When Erin heard that, she squealed so loudly that they could probably hear her from the top floor. They had gone for a drink and when they said goodbyes, Meredith had kissed Beatrice. They had kept in touch for the rest of the holiday and now they were back at Hogwarts, Erin was sure things would escalate quickly.

The best thing was that Beatrice seemed so incredibly happy about it and Erin couldn't wish for anything more. She deserved it and she was so proud of her.