Chapter 33

Isla's POV

"Ugh, this again," Elliot grumbled, opening the door of the car. I didn't wait for him to open mine like usual. Instead, I closed my eyes, facing up at the sky and letting the raindrops fall. 

"You are going to get sick," he called, already halfway up the driveway. I stared at him for a moment before replying. 

"Just a few more minutes."

I stood in the rain, feeling the cold water seeping into my clothes. I had ditched Elliot's sweater in the heated car so I didn't feel guilty about getting it wet. My athletic jacket was a dry-fit but I was just wearing a tank top underneath. It was a cold day, not hot and humid like monsoon season. But I always loved it when it rained. If I could make a candle, it would have the smell of rain on concrete, or petrichor

"You're one interesting child," Elliot mumbled, watching me in amazement . 

"Do you not dance in the rain?" I asked, walking up to him. The rain was beating down on us, the fat droplets making a drumming sound as they pounded against the hoods of the cars. 

He made a "no of course not" face, shaking his head. My mouth dropped open and I grabbed his hand.

"You, Monsieur Elliot, are missing out on life," I said, taking his hand and spinning myself around. It didn't matter that I looked like an idiot, making myself dance with a stiff log. Eventually, Elliot gave in and danced with me for a few minutes. I stopped for a moment, smirking devilishly. 

"Chat (French version of Tag)" I called, slapping Elliot's shoulder and running off down the street. I heard him mumble a "what" before his footsteps splashed behind me. 

"Your a real pain in my ass you know!" he called after me. A few moments later I felt his arms wrap around my waist before tugging me down. I landed beside him in a small puddle, the water splashing under me. 

"You just have to tackle me, don't you," I breathed after my laughter died down. I glared at Elliot, who hovered over me, the raindrops dripping off of his hair onto my face. 

"Duh," he replied, no doubt mocking me. He got up, offering his hand to me. I narrowed my eyes at him and slapped his hand away. I heard him grumbling as I got up myself. I tried not to look at his abs as the outline showed through the navy blue shirt he was wearing. It stuck to his skin, outlining his body nicely. I looked away, walking up the driveway onto the front steps. 

"I didn't think this through," I mumbled, glancing down at my dripping wet clothes. 

"It's fine, I'll mop it up," Elliot waved his hand. He neared me, shaking his head so that all the water splashed on me. 

"Ew, I swear you're like a dog," I muttered, unzipping my jacket. A shiver wracked my body as I squeezed the water out of my jacket. Squeezing the water out of my hair, I stepped onto the doormat inside the house. 

"Elliot!" I exclaimed as he stood, a puddle forming beneath his feet. He made no effort to reduce the wet mess in the house. 

"Whatever, it's my house," he shrugged, a teasing smirk on his face. 

"And that's why you are cleaning it," a voice called from behind me. I whipped around to find Elliot's parents standing in the kitchen doorway. Elliot made a strangled noise, as my wet hair smacked his face. I stuck my tongue out at him making him slumping his shoulders.

"I didn't know you were home already," he groaned, running a hand through his damp hair. 

"Car's in the garage," his mother smiled, a knowing look on her face as she glanced between Elliot and I. 

"Last one to the door is a rotten egg," Elliot said, a challenging look on his face. My feet were already moving as he said the r in rotten. I should've known teaching him that would be a bad idea. 

Our footsteps thundered as we ran up the stairs, Elliot right behind me. 

"Beat you," I grinned, slapping the door of his room. 

"But did you though," he smirked, slapping my butt. "I got the view."

I scoffed, glaring at him. I didn't hesitate to bring my knee up where the sun don't shine. 

"Just returning the favor," I smirked as he bent over, leaning  against the wall. The look of pain on his face made me smile  in victory. I leaned in closer to his ear, my lips brushing the skin.

"If you wanted a view, you could've just asked."

With that, I shut the door, heading into the bathroom to take a warm, relaxing shower. 

-  -  --- -- - - - ---- - -  - - - - --- - - - - - 

 The Next Morning...

"Hm? Yeah, I don't really know," I mumbled, holding back a yawn. 

"Isla be serious," my mother scolded, her voice loud through the phone. 

"I don't know," I groaned, tilting my head back. 

"It's a simple question! Are you coming home before fall semester starts?"

"I might for a week to two," I replied, knowing my mother wouldn't give up. After a moments silence she spoke up. 

"You do remember what date it is in 4 days, yes?" she asked quietly. My lips pressed into a line as I breathed out from my nose. 

"Yes, I do."

September 18th. It was coming. The day Marleen died. And I wasn't going to be home to visit her like I usually did. 

"Morning," Elliot's mom greeted as she entered the kitchen. I smiled and waved and she noticed I was on the phone, nodding her head. 

"Ok, I have to go now mom," I sighed, rubbing my forehead. 

"Alright, be safe. Love you."

"Love you too, bye."

I set my phone on the counter, a sigh escaping my lips. 

"Goodmorning," I greeted, turning to Elliot's mom. 

"Would you help me make omletts?" she asked. I was suspicious of her being so nice all of a sudden. 

"Sure," I nodded, grabbing the eggs from the fridge. 

We talked a bit as we made breakfast and it was beginning to feel a bit more relaxed. 

"Breakfast is ready!" she called and moments later, a bunch of footsteps came down the stairs. 

Elliot walked in, giving me an odd stare as I handed him coffee. 

"Arrrre you okaaay?" I drawled, giving him a questioning look. He quickly looked away, nodding his head. 

Weird.