26 | He's Speechless

before we start the chapter, please click the star button and vote! thank you so much!!

———

Bailey

Why did I say yes? I don't know. But I do know that I was never going to be able to live with myself if I said no. He was the first person to show me something more than hate, disgust and violence.

Someone that told me not to lose all faith in humanity, just because my world was fucked up.

"So, Bailey, how did you first meet Adrian? A cafe? A train ride? A mall? A romantic setting?" His mom wiggles her eyebrows at me. I snort, dissolving into a fit of laughter.

"He kidnapped me." A few weeks ago, I wouldn't have found it funny because I just witnessed a murder and was kidnapped for it. And even now it's sort of bizarre, yet it's still funny. Adrian's mom spits out her water and looks at me with a mixed look plastered on her face. It mostly says 'you're dating the guy who kidnapped you? Are you okay?'

She manages a forced laugh. "That's Adrian for you."

"And you're okay with him doing all of this?" I ask.

"No. No, I'm not. He could have been an actor. A goddamn singer, or maybe even a janitor, but he chose to do illegal stuff. And once you're in, you can't get out. So I'm the one who has to choose. Between my son, or a clean, lawful life." She lets out a deep breath. "I chose my son."

Before I can reply, she goes on. "I'm sure you know by now that he struggles with reading and writing. That's when school became his enemy. I watched him come home, everyday, frustrated beyond measure that he couldn't read Dr. Seuss and everyone else could. I tried. I really tried to teach him, and tried to help him improve, but it went back to where he was. Stuck. Many would bully him, right in front of my eyes. Call him names, and such," She sighs. "I watched him break right in front of my eyes. I did all that a mother could do to keep him safe from all that, but I can't be with him everywhere..." 

"In middle school, he changed. Not a good change. I never saw him pick up a book after that. But then again, that's most kids anyway, but he refused to read anything. And then in high school, he mixed with the wrong stuff."

"That got him here," I add. Just imagining how that must have felt is terrible. Imagine having to go through all that.

And now, he decided, if he can't be with them, he'll be above them.

Fear is a powerful thing. And he climbed on top of those ladders to get up here. With his crown made with knives, and armour made with bullets, he has what he wants.

Instead of him fearing them, they're fearing him.

"I'm sorry, dear. I have to leave. I came here for Adrian, and he's not here anyway, so I don't see the purpose of my stay. Nice meeting you," She gives me a warm smile and pulls me into a hug. "You're gorgeous by the way."

For some reason, I don't brush off her compliments like I do for everyone else. They sink in, almost patching up a chipped off piece of my heart. And to those words, I hug her back.

Once she leaves, it's just me in this empty mansion. Alone, once again. But instead of feeling relieved like I used to back with my father, I feel scared. What if- What if something bad happens again?

It won't.

But it might.

And as if my thoughts have been answered, a shot sounds through the hallway, as several men march inside. I instantly run towards the kitchen counter, ducking behind it.

My heart is threatening to leave my body, and find somewhere safer to be in. The basement. I need to get the basement.

Taking the humongous risk, I crawl away from the safety of the kitchen counter, and towards the large hallway. But sadly, I'm spotted, so I dash back but it's too late. Someone grabs me by the hair, lifting me on my feet. "I've never seen you before."

I don't reply. "Who are you?" He asks.

I don't reply again. He swings a blow to my stomach, knocking the air out of me. I start coughing, but I still don't stay anything. "Blink twice if you can hear me."

"Do you know Adrian? Bitch, I know you can hear me."

I wince at the word 'bitch'. "I'm not going to tell you anything," I finally say. I know I can't fight off these men. I couldn't even fight off one third of them, how will I fight off a dozen?

They're not here for you. I keep telling myself that. All of a sudden, the guy holding me is on the ground, his blood all over me. Startled, I look around for the source of the bullet.

Adrian and Blake. With at least twice as much men as the intruders. Adrian signals his goons in a direction, while he rushes towards me. "I'm so sorry," He breathes, taking my hand and pulling me towards the basement.

"Who are these people?"

"No one."

"They hurt me."

"They won't live to see another day."

"What are they doing here?"

"Nothing."

"They cursed at me."

"They won't live to speak another word."

"Do you know them?"

"No."

"They know you."

"They won't live to know another person."

Before we can reach the basement, someone's already waiting at the door. It's not anyone I know.

"Jack," Adrian states. "I thought I took you out."

"You didn't," The man, who I'm guessing is Jack, sneers. "I see you've replaced Ava."

"Shut up."

Who's Ava? I've never heard of her.

"Who's that?" I ask.

"No one," Adrian replies, his voice tense. But there's another emotion, that I can't quite read. Sadness? No, it can't be.

"Don't tell me you haven't heard of Ava. Adrian's late girlfriend. I wouldn't blame you, it's last year's news," A deadly smile comes alive on his face. "I thought he would have told you by now. Some trust he has, huh?"

"I don't believe you," I spit back. "You're lying. Adrian, he's lying right? You trust me, don't you?"

Adrian looks down at the ground, speechless.

"Well, why don't you ask Ava herself?" A sinful smirk is playing on this face, as he points the gun at me. "Or, should I shoot him?" The gun changes direction.

"Me," We both say at the same time. I look back at the living room to see Blake down. He's shot.

"Blake!" I yell. Adrian looks in my line of sight, to see his best friend on the ground. There are only two men left from the dozen that came, but like they say... survival of the fittest. And these two look like they're best of the best. The rest of Adrian's men are down as well.

The two men surround Blake like vultures, waiting for death to arrive to the fallen. Acting on impulse, Adrian rushes at Jack, twisting his arm backwards, and snatching the gun from him and pointing it at his head. "Happy journey," He growls as he shoots Jack, his brain splattering all over the ground. I close my eyes, the scene too much for me to take in.

I rush towards Blake, as Adrian shoots down the two men still standing. I watch the pool of blood get bigger and bigger around him. I shake his shoulder, but it's of no use.

Please don't be dead. 

—————-

vote, comment and follow!

hope you liked this chapter! thank you so much for reading! please vote and make my day! 

love you guys so much!