{CHAPTER 13}

°

°

DAWN HAD BROKEN AT LAST. Rhaenyra watched from Drogon's back up in the air how the army of elves in their golden armour marched on the mountain, a smaller number of men and women of Laketown walked with them. Earlier that morning Rhaenyra had reluctantly handed the dragon egg to Gandalf to take care off, knowing that she wouldn't be able to focus on protecting the egg at the same time while negotiation with Thorin and trying to avoid war all at the same time. Gandalf took notice on how reluctant Rhaenyra was to be separated from the egg and was surprised to see her so protective over it, yet promised to keep it safe. 

Before departing from Dale, Rhaenyra also made sure to speak with Bard about the location of the last Black Arrow he never had the chance to use against Smaug. She worried that if the Orc army should come then they might get their hands on it and use it against Drogon. Bard assured her time and time again that the weapon was under constant guard and a group of fighting men would be left behind in the ruins specifically to protect it. 

Bard's promise didn't completely soothe her nerves  but time had run out for them and the march had already begun. Rhaenyra bid her goodbyes to Gandalf and Bard, sparing a glance in Thranduil's direction before mounting Drogon and took to the skies. The pair of them circled Dale for a while and watched how row after row of elven soldiers left the city. From so high up in the air Rhaenyra had a wonderful view of the army moving below her, the elves in their golden armour melting together and appearing to look like a vast golden ocean. A cluster of people dressed in brown and grey in the middle were made up of Bard and the people of Laketown who wore anything they could spare for protection and wielded whatever sharp thing they could find if it came to a fight. Rhaenyra only had Drogon and Narya as means to defend herself, though a Ring of Power and a dragon would be more than adequate. Her bow had been left behind in Mirkwood, and she hadn't asked for a new one before the battle either. The Dragon Queen would remain true to her title and intended to stay in dragonback where she herself felt safest and would be in the best possible position to protect others. 

Drogon's wings beat hard against the air as he sailed smoothly above the armies of elves and men who had gathered into organized rows in front of the mountain, the shadow cast by Drogon stretched over a majority of the soldiers below him. Rhaenyra could see the company gathered on the ramparts above the barred gates to Erebor, trying their best to appear stoic and brave as they watched an army of men and elves march on their mountain along with a dragon flying above them all.

The Dragon Queen spotted Bard riding on a white stallion next to Thranduil who rode in on a giant elk, the pair of Kings moving through the lines of elves who expertly moved out of the way. She had still not spoken directly to the Elven King himself, and he had not tried to search her out before the march began. For that Rhaenyra was thankful, otherwise her thoughts would have been filled with him, and she would have been distracted.

Drogon landed with a roar on the right side of the ramparts on what once might have been a magnificent statue which had now fallen into disrepair, bits of it crumbled under Drogon's weight.