Ch.46 Selfish

Chapter 46

1 month later

Maya shook out her hair as she tried to get her heartbeat to calm down. Heyder held her hand while the head shaman prepared the cleansing bath at the temple. Around the pool of water, Exton and Gemma stood by one corner while Owen stood beside Maksim.

"Calm your heart, my little hummingbird," Heyder whispered into her ear before placing a light kiss upon it.

Maya nodded her head as she swallowed the lump in her throat. She avoided her father's curious gaze as she tried her best to distract herself. The last thing she needed was for Exton to find out that traveling was becoming harder and harder by the day.

The feeling was unexplainable.

In the beginning, Maya felt the fey's magic flow through her like water. It was easy and carefree, like catching up with an old friend. But as the days passed, pulling on her magic became harder and harder.

With everyone's hopes so high, Maya didn't dare tell them about what she was experiencing. It was a secret she needed to keep for just a while longer.

"Your grace," the head shaman looked up at the brown water in the pool turned a milky white.

Maya took in a deep breath and let go of Heyder's hand. She knew the drill. With careful steps, she slowly climbed into the pool. Ivar and Exton walked up to the edge as Caspian and Heyder hovered behind them.

"Remember, no need to rush," Ivar reminded Maya as he crouched down.

"Got it," Maya held up her thumb. She walked to the center of the pool and looked over her shoulder.

Heyder's dark eyes watched her like a hawk. His expression was always the same. Until she was safely back and into his arms, he would not stop worrying. Maya gave him a small smile as she lowered her head and let her body float on the water.

"Okay....." Exton's calm voice directed her. "Do your thing, champ."

Maya closed her eyes to let the cleansing bath wash over her conscience. After many failed attempts, Maya and Exton were beginning to lose hope of Maya ever being able to control her traveling. It wasn't until Rye suggested the cleansing bath to clear Maya's head that things really started to roll.

With Maya's head and soul cleared, traveling was easier and picking a time and destination was much more manageable. But Maya's happiness was limited. After every travel, she didn't feel well but she pushed it back to the back of her mind.

"Maya..." Heyder's voice echoed in Maya's mind as she let the water run over her body. "I love you so much."

Maya felt herself smile. She couldn't wait to jump into the jinn's arms. The first time she had traveled back with one of his pencils, Heyder was overjoyed. Maya was dying to see the reaction on his face when she brought back the aphros.

With extreme slowness Maya recited the samsara spell. She felt the fey in her shrink back. It was like trying to drag a bull out into the field. Maya pushed with her mind and every bit of her strength. After what felt like an eternity, her belly started to warm.

The sensation was always the same. The back on her neck sparked to life with a sharp poke. Then her toes began to feel numb, followed by her fingertips. The feeling of being airborne came over before in a flash her body felt like heavy lead. It wasn't until Maya tasted the copper in the back of her throat that she knew she had truly gone back in time.

Instantly, Maya was greeted by Fiza's bone chilling screams. She found herself at the foot of the stairs as Mirza Held onto Fiza and backed up against the wall. In front of them the tiger growled as Heyder looked for an opening to strike his brother.