24

"You sure seem happy.."

Norman looked up curiously, and saw Ray standing over his desk, "Oh, do I?"

Ray crossed his arms and stared at him in disbelief, "Yeah, you do. More happy than usual, you never smile down at your phone like that."

He hadn't even realized he was smiling that whole time. He never does that, of course Ray knows something is up.

"Well.." Norman tried to think of a response, "..is it a crime to be happy?"

The raven haired boy rolled his eyes, "No, its not a crime, its just so rare that you'd think it doesn't happen."

The white haired boy scoffed, "I can be happy! I'd say I'm content most of the time, I think you are talking about yourself in this case."

Ray put his hand over his mouth and faked a gasp, "You really think I'm the unhappy one? How rude, I happen to live an amusing life, for your information."

He put his phone face down on the desk, and looked up at the standing boy with a blank expression, "Yeah, amusing. Your only source of joy is when you are mean and sarcastic to us.

Once again, the boy faked a gasp, "I do no such thing." He said, "Wait, what were you even looking at on your phone anyways?"

Norman looked up at him, then looked down at the phone, "Nothing.." But as if on cue, his phone vibrated with an incoming message. Ray locked eyes with him for a second, before they both simultaneously dived for the phone. Norman had his hand on the phone first, but Ray got a better grip, and within a split second they were playing tug of war: smartphone edition.

"Give me it!" Ray said, trying to use his better grip to completely pull the phone his way.

Norman shook his head, pulling harder, "No! Its none of your business!"

"Please, why are you two like this?" They both heard a voice from behind Ray, which caused the raven haired boy to quickly let go, almost losing his balance, and ultimately almost falling back onto the source of the voice.

"Gilda? Don't be mad, but it was all his fault." Ray said, pointing at Norman.

"What? This is my phone! You were the one that tried to steal it!" Norman shot back.

Gilda looked up at Ray, and crossed her arms, "Ray? Is this true?"

After being caught in the wrong, the boy only began to stutter, as if trying to find a defense, "I- Come on! The boy was smiling at his phone, when does that ever happen?"

She pondered a second, "So that excuses you attempting to rob him?"

"Who said anything about robbery??" He asked, "What is this, the court of law??"

Gilda only shrugged, "It could be, if you want."

"That doesn't even make any sense!" He exclaimed, before finally taking a seat. Gilda only smiled, knowing full well that she won this.

Norman laughed, having successfully kept Ray from taking his phone. He only now realized that he hadn't had the chance to look at the most recent message due to that stupid tug of war he was just involved in.

"Although I do have to agree with Ray, what are you smiling about?" She asked, looking down at the sitting boy, "You never do that, you aren't usually even on your phone at all."

"You see? Thats why I tried to take the phone!" Ray added in.

Gilda looked back at him, her arms still crossed, "But theres a difference. I'm asking him nicely, you just tried to steal it." She then looked once more at Norman, "Isn't it better to be asked, then for someone to try to steal it?"