85. LOST WITHOUT YOU || the end

WHEN HE OPENS HIS EYES, Elijah's vision is overtaken with haziness and slight red

WHEN HE OPENS HIS EYES, Elijah's vision is overtaken with haziness and slight red. Before he can even check on himself, his eyes go straight to the passenger side of the vehicle. The door is caved in, glass shattered, and debris littering the area.

And Aliyah. She's unconscious, head slumped over through the broken window and bleeding from multiple gashes in her forehead. He can't see any other injuries in the dark of the night but he can hear someone outside calling frantically for them.

" - I'm so sorry! I looked away for two seconds! I'm going to call an ambulance!" It was the semitruck driver.

Elijah tries to lift his arm only for a shocking pain to rush through him. Fuck, it's a dislocation.

"Aliyah." He calls, trying to stir her awake. "Aliyah, wake up."

She doesn't move.

Elijah can feel the tears well up in his eyes, "Please, baby." With his other arm, he stretches over to check her pulse. It's low but there. He purses his lips and the tears of relief rush down his face, "We're gonna be okay. We're gonna get you to the hospital."

He knows she can't answer. She probably can't even hear him, but he needs her to know that she'll be alright.

BLOOD RUSHING THROUGH his ears

BLOOD RUSHING THROUGH his ears. His heart pounding against his chest. All he can see is the red on his hands, the red on her clothes, the red on his clothes, the red on the floor.

The smell of bleach and medical supplies invades his senses as his feet rush along with the stretcher, his wife's unconscious body resting on it. He's a doctor - he shouldn't be thrown off by the sight and smell of blood and yet, here he is, fighting off the urge to throw up at the sight of his wife's blood.

He can barely breathe as a pregnant Henley tries to pull him off the side of the gurney. Tears rush down his face non-stop.

He can't think. He can't hear. He can't breathe.

Not without Aliyah. Not while she's laying on a surgical gurney, her mind closed off to the world.