forty-three

I didn't get out of the dungeon soon like Draco said I would.

Days, weeks, and finally months began to pass. The days didn't feel so long anymore. I got used to the hunger. I felt dirty. They wouldn't let us shower, so my hair began to knot and my skin began to get incredibly oily.

It was now well into March, and I was still in the dungeon. Luna seemed to have lost her usually quirky personality. She was quiet and hardly talked anymore.

My dad hadn't given them any information, and I understood why. Of course he wanted to get me out, but it would be horrible if he had.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps and voices coming upstairs from the drawing room. I immediately sat up, straining my ears to try and hear what they were saying. I couldn't pick up any words, there voices just sounded muffled.

"What's going on?" Luna mumbled, stirring from her nap.

"I don't know," I replied.

The cell door swung open and we both backed up. Two prisoners were thrown into the dungeon and the door shut behind them.

I squinted my eyes. There was a tall black boy that I felt like I recognized and a short goblin.

"Dean?" Luna whispered at the boy.

I instantly realized who he was. He was Dean Thomas, a Gryffindor boy in my year.

"Luna!" he said.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"The Snatchers got us," he muttered. "Me and Griphook." He gestured to the goblin. He then looked back at us. "How long have you guys been done here?"

I wrapped my arms around my chest. "About three months."

"Damn," he muttered.

"Well, make yourselves at home," Luna said.

Dean walked past us and sat down on the floor. The goblin followed him.

There were more voices from upstairs. I stood up, trying to get as close to the ceiling as I could to hear what was going on.

"Well, Draco?" I heard Lucius say. "Is it him? Is it Harry Potter?"

I heard Draco reply, but I he was speaking so quietly that I couldn't hear what he was saying.

"But look at him carefully, look! Come closer!" Lucius exclaimed. "Draco, if we are the ones who hand Potter over to the Dark Lord, everything will be forgiven--"

"Harry's here," I whispered as the voices continued. "Oh my god, Luna, Harry's here."

Luna stood up and walked over to stand next to me. "Are you sure?"

"They're talking about him--they've captured him," I said.

"--what about the Mudblood, then?" A voice that I didn't recognize growled.

"Wait," I heard Narcissa say. "Yes, she was in Madam Malkin's with Potter! I saw her picture in the Prophet! Look, Draco, isn't it the Granger girl?"

"Hermione's here..." I whispered.

"I.." Draco said, "Maybe...yeah..."

"Then that's the Weasley boy!" Lucius said. "It's them, Potter's friends-- Draco, look at him. Isn't it Arthur Weasly's son-- what's his name?"

"Yeah," Draco said. "It could be."

I stared at Luna. "Harry, Hermione, Ron, they're all here."

She just stared back, her light eyes wide, not saying anything.