Chapter 24

HELLO I KNOW YOU ALL HATE ME OGMKDNFJKN SO HERES ANOTHER UPDATE TO WIN BACK YOUR AFFECTION [even though you still might hate me BUT THE STORY ISNT OVER SO CHILL]

warnings: mentions/details of a case, angst

----------------------------------------------

17 days. It's been 17 days since you last saw Spencer, or at least his silhouette in the darkness of his room. Upon reading the note, you had shifted back into survival mode, ignoring every call and text he'd sent to make sure you were okay. You weren't okay. And it was because of him. 

There's always a fine line between love and hate, your grandmother used to always say. The energy that goes into hating someone - full fist-clenching, sky-screaming, sob-inducing hatred, can truly only be fueled by love. Now you see that she was right.

Work had kept you busy, with two short cases sending you to opposite coasts and allowing you to focus on something other than your own heartbreak. Dealing with grieving families and traumatized victims sure does have a way of putting things into perspective. 

Only Morgan knows the full extent of what happened with Spencer, after the broken genius showed up at his doorstep with a half-drank bottle of whiskey and tears in his eyes. JJ seems to know something, making passing references to being there if you ever need to talk, but you aren't ready to get into details with anyone. The only person you knew how to open up to was Spencer.

When you walk into the office on this particular Friday morning, the site of the team huddled around in the conference room makes you walk a little faster. There are photos already on the screen, and the map in the corner represents a series of buildings not too far from here. You squint and feel a pit in your stomach as the location leaves Garcia's mouth. Georgetown.

"What's going on there?" you ask, trying to maintain your composure. Morgan glances up at you cautiously, sliding over a series of photographs. You scan the gruesome images quickly, trying to stop your hand from shaking.

"Night cleaning crew found human remains in the basement of a dormitory," Hotch explains. "All three victims were female, 18-20, blonde, and on the honor roll. They're in the ME's office now but it's looking like they all occurred within the past week, with the most recent being yesterday."

You immediately feel guilty for the wave of relief that washes over you. Spencer is okay. Shit, maybe you don't hate him.

"Did they live on campus?" you ask, and Hotch nods. "And nobody reported them missing?"

"The first two were roommates," Rossi notes. "I'd guess that our unsub took them both at the same time."

"Alright, Dave and I are heading to the Dean's office to discuss the victims and meet with their families," Hotch begins his orders. "Morgan, JJ and Emily, go to the dorms and question the victim's roommates. See what they had in common. Alvez, Y/N - head over to campus and go to the social sciences building. Call Reid and brief him, he's gonna need to help us with this one."