Chapter 8: Ava's Magic Portal

~Third Person PoV~

        Much later on that same night, Ava managed to get herself to sleep. And (Y/n), in their own room laid half-awake, trying to make it through the night with insomnia kicking in. Johnny was in the living room where the Daemos were, sleeping soundly in the cardboard blanket box. The Daemos were scattered throughout the living room, almost all of them asleep was well.

        The Daemos prince laid on the sofa, a blanket draped over his body. Pierce is seated in a a chair, both of his hands resting over the pommel of his sword while the blade was pointed towards the ground. Leif is seated on the floor, in an almost meditative-like position. And Noi is lying on his back on the floor, lightly snoring and mumbling things in his sleep.

        "No, please humans... don't harvest my horns and suck my organs out of me..."

        But Rhys, meanwhile, is in the bathroom, holding a magical amulet and standing by the sink and Lady Grandma's image appears in the mirror.

        "Well... its about time you called..." The woman remarks.

        "Forgive me, Lady Grandma. Things-"

        "Didn't go according to plan? Ha!" She gives him a serious look. "What plan actually works when you visit a world you know nothing about?"

        "I was under the impression the humans here would be like the ones... on Daemos."

        "Enough. Now, tell me..." Her grave tone was quickly swapped out with a more gossipy one. "How is Pierce doing? Is he all right?"

        "You mean Asch." Rhys corrects.

        Lady Grandma shakes her head. "I said Pierce. Is he all right? Those humans better not have done anything to his handsome face!"

        Rhys sweat drops. "I would think you'd be more concerned about your grandchild..."

        "Hmm? Oh, yes... I care about him too, I guess."

        Rhys lets out an exasperated sigh. "Pierce is safe and so is Asch."

        Lady Grandma laughs. "Lighten up, Rhys." Her tone is softer, more calm. "If you're calling me with such a peaceful tone about you, then its obvious everyone is safe." She takes a deep breath before speaking again, her tone of voice now serious again. "Now, we don't have much time. You need to reserve your magic as much as possible, even calling me can drain you."

        "I assure you, I have more than enough to-"

        "Enough. Let's get on with it." She says, cutting him off. She trusts Rhys' capability to preserve his magic, but she knows of his tendencies to ramble. And using his magic to talk at a time like this would not only be a waste, but is a risk that is not worth taking.

        Rhys catches on to this fairly easily. "Yes. We've taken a female human sorcerer as our prisoner, so powerful that I, at the least, can feel her magic around her." He states. "The plan I have in mind is to assimilate ourselves in their culture and environment. Once we learn more about it, I have no doubt that we can harness the humans to assist with the magic crisis in our world."

        Lady Grandma raises an eyebrow. "And Asch hasn't hurt any of them?"

        "He's attempted, but he's also strangely listening to reason."

        The older woman looks down, solemnly. "I don't blame him. He has more pressure for this journey to be a successful one than anyone else there. You know what will happen if he fails..."