prologue | dying

Draco found it hard to think about Death.

Not because it scared him - quite the opposite; he'd often found that life was the thing really worth fearing of the two. Death was much quieter than life, and besides, people could hurt you far less once the worst had already happened.

After actually experiencing death itself, however, the subject had become much more complicated in his mind. Not least because it hadn't allowed him to actually leave the planet that housed his mortal body.

Draco knew about ghosts, of course. He'd met plenty at Hogwarts. But he'd never expected he was the type to become like them; half tied to the earth, half desperate to get away, but not belonging to either side.

The war had been a horrendous ordeal, and when he was murdered by Voldemort for throwing Potter the Elder Wand, it had almost been a relief to Draco.

He knew Potter had used it to instantly retaliate with the first (and probably only) "Avada Kedavra" of his life, and that the Dark Lord was defeated, but by that point it was too late, and Draco had already been out of his body and on his way up, up out of the violence.

Except when he floated far enough up the sky that he reached what he assumed was the upper layer of the stratosphere, Draco hadn't been able to go any further. It confused him; he'd always assumed that was how souls escaped the mortal world, but who was he to complain to? There didn't exactly seem to be much God around.

As time wore on down on earth, Draco's ageless body began to be drawn almost insignificantly slowly towards a specific point on the horizon, and he realised where he'd go when it was Time.

But until that point, it appeared he was trapped on earth without a body, and there was very little he could do in that state to pass the time.

Little, that is, except find the reason he was being held down to earth against his will.

There would be a colossal shock coming for him when he realised that the "reason" had green eyes and a heartbeat.

________________________________

a/n: so! a new story! welcome everybody

i'm gonna leave this one on the back burner as theres at least 20 more chapters of fatherhood to finish as i write this (gahh) but i have been thinking about this premise for a little while and it really appeals to me so thought i'd get the prologue down at least.

please let me know what you think about the concept!🤍

~ paradisedraco