Chapter-32

Jon's POV

"Well, there is good news and bad news, Mr. Williams." The doctor says as we are heading towards Emmy's room.

"I'll go with the good one first." I say rubbing my palms on my jeans. I've had enough of shit, I need to hear something good for once.

"The good news is, Emma is completely out of danger." He says patting my shoulder. I let out a breath of relief. I couldn't sleep a wink last night. I was afraid that if I fall asleep I might have that nightmare again, and my heart isn't strong enough to handle another nightmare in which Emmy dies.

"That's.....that's so good to hear doctor." I say as I rub my hands over my face.

"Well, the bad news is the side effects of the brain damage. She did fracture her skull, but that'll heal. What we're worried about is the damage that has been done to the brain." He says standing outside of Emmy's room.

"What exactly are the side effects?" I ask while narrowing my eyes. Yes, I am nervous about the side effects, but at least she'll be alive, at least she'll be with me.

"There can be many, Mr. Williams. Some of the common ones are lack of concentration, blurry vision, speech defects, forgetfulness, losing balance, lack of coordination. The problem is, you can't exactly predict when these side effects will fade away. May God forbid, but chances are there that this may be life long. I just have to say that, people might run out of patience while dealing with her since, it is human nature to get things done in a haste. Emmy might take some time to get certain tasks done, now that her brain cannot coordinate with her at all times. She's gonna need help in various things."

"You don't have to worry about that. I'll keep her with me all the time, she won't ever be alone." I say in one breath. I don't care if I'll have to glue myself to Emmy, I am never going to lose her, again. I'd been a complete ass to her and this is how I pay back.

"Well, it's better if she always has someone with her. Anyways, I'll get going if you excuse me. You may wait in Emma's room." He says, giving me a curt nod. I open the door and see Emma's body moved to the other side such that her back is facing me. I softly close the door and move to her side to see her face. She is sleeping peacefully. I can see the bruises formed under her eyes and behind her ear. I softly brush my knuckles against her cheek. I stop my movement when I see her eyebrows furrowing, I retreat my hand, stopping midway when I hear her moaning. I get up to call a doctor, but then I stop when I see her eyes slowly opening. Finally, those emerald green orbs look at me for a second before she holds her head with her hands. I gently pull her hand away from her head so that she doesn't loosen the bandages.

"Don't touch it. You might open it up." I say very softly. She tries to say something but as soon as she does, she starts coughing severely. Suddenly, her nose begins to bleed. Well, I should've called the doctor the second she woke up. Stupid me. I pressed the red button beside her bed which is used to call the nurse. Once the nurse and doctor had arrived, they gave her a quick check up to ensure that the nosebleed isn't indicating anything serious. It turns out that nosebleeds can be expected quite often if there is a brain damage.

"Hello dear. I am your doctor, Mr. Thompson. You have nothing to worry about, you are taken good care of. Now if you don't mind there are a few questions I'd like to ask you. Is it okay with you?" He asks her as politely as he could. Emma doesn't say anything, she just stares at her fidgety hands on her lap.

"Do you remember your name, dear?" He asks cautiously. Still no answer. He sighs and gestures me to go out of the room with him, which leaves the nurse and Emma by themselves.

"I think that she isn't answering anything because she is still in shock. Maybe after a few hours, when she has been familiarized with the place, she'll open up. Till then don't ask or say anything which can stress her out. Keep your conversations as light as possible. She may or may not remember the events prior to the incident, so choose wisely about what you say." He instructs me. I nod my head and enter the room.