Chapter 23

***Loki***

3 hours earlier.....

I stand and watch as the Avengers gather around Claire. Pamela is sobbing softly and clinging to Clint, who stands there resolutely.

"There is nothing that can be done?" Steve asks, coming over to me.

"No, there isn't. Trust me, I have looked." I say shaking my head. He nods and goes back to the bed, looking down at her with sad eyes. For every time Claire thought she wasn't important, here is solid proof of the opposite. Every person in the room, from Rika to Clint, has been affected by Claire's simple glow. I feel emotion overcoming me and I quickly walk out onto the balcony, putting my head in my hands as I lean on the rail. Clint walks next to me and stares out at the horizon.

"You know for such powerful gods you would think they would have had a cure." He says while studying the golden buildings.

"I know." There is a pause.

"I'm sorry I failed. I was supposed to heal her, and now she is laying on the bed dying." I clench my fists in frustration.

"Hey, you did all you could. If anyone is to blame it is me. I should never have left her alone, then she wouldn't have gotten sick in the first place." He says, his own voice filled with frustration.

"But I am one of the smartest Asgardians in the realm. I should have found a cure." I say-

"And I am her brother. I should have taken better care of her in the first place!" Clint retorts, and I smirk.

"If she were awake she would be scolding us both for blaming ourselves." I say, looking at the thin figure in bed.

"She would." He says, and we both watch the others in the room. I feel an empathy for all these people, all of us in the middle of losing something incredibly dear to us. Claire, the most beautiful and kind woman in the world.

"You really care for her." Clint remarks, and I quickly compose myself.

"I-"

"Don't bother denying it, its alright." He says softly, making me turn to him in surprise.
"She is my light." I say, and he looks at me curiously.

"Go on." He says, crossing his arms and leaning against the rail.

"You know when it seems as if you are stuck in the darkness and there is no way out? You are drowning and you are ready to give up, because life has no meaning. You are ready to take your last breath, but then you see a light. Not a bright gold like the sun, but a soft white like a star. You follow that light, and it leads you out of the darkness and once again you are happy. Claire is my light, my star. She took me by the hand and brought joy into my life again. Her love is all I need in this world, without her I have nothing left." I say, and Clint raises an eyebrow.

"Her love huh?" He says, and I curse inwardly.

"Yes??" I say hesitantly, not wanting him to get mad.

"I should have realized she would fall in love with you. From the time she could walk she was always bringing lost kittens and stray dogs home. Anything that was hurt or broken she would try to fix and boy would she get angry if we didn't help. " He says, and I breath a sigh of relief.

"You guys okay out here?" Natasha says, sticking her head out the door."

"Fine." Clint and I say in unison, and she looks at us weirdly.

"Okay... Clint we only have a few more minutes if you want to say goodbye." She says, and he nods.

"Be there in a bit." He says and she leaves. He turns to me.