22

☀︎

The rain pounds down from the sky when we exit the club, every part of me is drenched in seconds, but I appreciate the distraction from my pounding mind. The merciless droplets of rain trail down my body as Xavier pushes against his key and a black SUV blinks twice. When we reach it he opens the door for me and I sit down on the cold leather seat. 

The car has his addictive scent, my mind is drowned in Xavier the moment he closes the door behind me. 

His wet frame sits down in the driver's seat and he nods his head at me, "Are you good?"

"Sto bene," (I'm fine) I breathe to him, trying not to shake at the coldness that's nipping at me. 

"You probably don't want to talk about what happened in there, but," He stops and pulls out of the parking lot, a certain awkwardness and tension falls upon his face and I shake my head at him. 

"You don't have to do any of this, Xavier. You saw me in a pathetic position, who the fuck cares? It doesn't equal to you pretending to care or trying to talk about it, I'm good," Brushing him off seems to be the best approach. Both of us are uncomfortable with him trying to comfort me.

"I'm trying here, Eloisa," He states tensely. 

"And I'm saying I don't want you to. You and I are monsters, monsters don't need anyone and shouldn't need anyone."

"The monsters need to look out for each other every now and then."

"I don't want you to, Xavier."

"Why?" The frustration grows on both our voices. Him and I are programmed to keep our emotions at bay, we are masters at it with everyone else, why the hell can't we be like that around each other?

"I haven't needed anyone for years, I'm not about to start needing anyone now either," My explanation makes sense to me and I stare into his black eyes, they seem annoyed with me. 

I simply don't care. 

"Why are you here, Eloisa? I have never heard about you before and then suddenly you're here, appearing at every event, killing my men, killing other people, why are you here? What do you want from this city?" His question throws me off, he truly doesn't know my intentions. 

It's a good thing, really, he shouldn't know that I'm going after his father. 

Deciding to give him a vague answer, ensuring that he doesn't raise suspicion about me not saying shit. "I'm here for myself, I've actually been here for a while by now."

"But why are you here?"

"One can't understand the damage they've done to someone, until the same thing is done to them. That's why I'm here," This is a vague as it gets, a lot of people in this city are dangerous and have done horrible things. 

His intense eyes cut to mine, "For revenge then?"

"Yes."

"I once heard this quote, fuck me if I know who it's from. It goes; revenge is the raging fire that consumes the arsonist," His words are like a slap to the face. 

"This is not that type of revenge," Denial is the first step. 

"Every revenge is that type of revenge. It will swallow you, devour from your soul until there's nothing left. Be careful with revenge. Revenge will leave you in the shell that once held your entire soul, mind and body."

"Coming from the mafia leader who feeds on revenge?"

"Exactly," His hard voice cuts through me, the meaning behind that one word fills the car with tension. 

This man is ruined. He has been programmed and trained to be this evil person from birth, he has been through hell and now he's trying to mend the parts of me that will leave me just like him. He's trying to stop the hurricane before it eats me up. 

His phone suddenly buzzes and he answers it, placing the device against his ear, "Romano."

I can't hear the person on the other end, but Xavier tenses in his seat. Enough to let me know this is serious, "Then control the fucking situation, Marc."

Marc? The man I kissed and who now has found some special girl?

"No. I can't be there right now. You need to end this yourself."

Xavier pauses and waits for an answer, even I can hear the loud silence on the other end. He seems angered by now, the need to do something must be catching up to him, "Marc, are you there?"

No answer. 

"What the fuck is going on?" He booms through the phone and my eyes widen slightly, he surely has a temper on him. An unfamiliar sinister chuckle carries through the other end of the line, loud enough for me to hear. Xavier's eyes storm over in rage and he clutches the steering wheel tightly in his rough grip. "If you mess with my men, I'll fucking crush you, I'll rip your teeth out only to choke you with them. Do you hear me? Do not underestimate me."

He hangs up on the phone and flings the device against the dashboard, it cracks under the pressure and he releases a sharp breath. One of his hands rubs his head in a frustrating manner. 

"We need to go somewhere before I return you home," His cold voice leaves no room for discussion, but I would never test this. If Marc is in danger, then we need to be there for him and fast. 

"Do you need help?" I offer and he looks at me with his angry stare, it hasn't left his expression yet and I know he must've been fucking furious because of this situation. 

"You will stay in the car when we get there, Eloisa," Once again, he leaves no room for discussion. 

"Both of us know I won't do that," I state with finality. "Now, focus on the issue at hand instead of trying to keep me away from it. It's a waste of your time."

"Are you always this infuriatingly stubborn?" He spits, his anger once again shining through when I meet his black eyes. 

Smirking at him, "It's one of my proudest traits."