15

Tyler^

Monday
Tyler's pov

I find a parking spot next to this big blue Chevy Silverado and can't help but admire the beauty of it. I've never seen it at this school but whoever drives that has good taste. Grabbing my backpack and keys, I step down from my Jeep Rangler and head into the school. I waved to a few people in passing but didn't stop until I reached my locker.

Ridgewood High, after just over two years since relocating, you'd think I'd be familiar with the school. Not really considering the circumstances. Imagine being the new kid along with every other teen kid in your own pack. Then add that there's a whole other pack bringing their kids in and the only ones here before us were Blackwell's kids and some other non-human beings mixed in. Basically two-thirds of the whole school were new students that winter and for the most part, we stuck to our own packs despite the friendship treaty. The kids from Blackwater were nice enough but the same can't be said of Blackwell. Dwindling numbers and lost battles but yet they still manage to keep their noses in the air as if they're doing us a favor. It's beyond me at this point.

"Tyler! Hey, welcome back", said a voice that made me inwardly cringe every time I heard it

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Jessica. I just hate how she keeps trying to flirt with me. And her best friend Maddison is no better although she's usually directing her attention to Eric Lambert, albeit with wandering eyes. I just can't bring myself to get close to people like that. Try as I might to be as polite as I can while showing that I'm clearly not interested, Maddison just won't give up. I don't have any track record with girls, before or after my mate died. And I'm not about to get involved with one that everyone knows is unfaithful. My focus needs to be on my pack, not another heartbreak.

Slowly I turn towards the pair of girls that now stood just to the side of my locker and gave a polite smile and a short nod. I don't want to engage in conversation but they don't seem to get the hint. Quickly, I shove the things I need into my bag while nodding my head to whatever Jessica is saying. But really, I have no recollection of what she's said until she mentions a party.

"You're coming right?", Jessica asks

"Huh? Coming to what?"

"My party? Friday night."

"Uhmm..what's the occasion?"

"Nothing, it's just a party. That I would really love if you came to."

"Sorry I'm busy then."

"It'll last for hours", Maddison said, "You can't even drop by?"

"No. I gotta get to class now. See you around."

Before they could reply or try to convince me more, I quickly walked away and turned down the hallway that lead to homeroom. The bell rang a few minutes later and some announcements passed. None of my friends were in here so I spent the 15 minutes on my phone. And sure enough I saw a retweet about Jessica's party that I am absolutely refusing to go to.

Time was up and the bell rang for first period. In the hallway I ignored whoever had just called my name and turned down two hallways and into my anatomy class. I've missed the first week back so I go to the teacher's desk rather than picking a seat that might be taken.

"Good morning Mrs. Shane", I greet her

My Aunt Laney looks up with a kind smile and reaches out to pinch my arm.

"I just saw you not even an hour ago Tyler", Aunt Laney says, "And please don't call me Mrs. Shane. It's auntie to you sir."

"I am not calling you 'auntie' at school Aunt Laney."