Chapter 4

When Sirius Black decided to elope with his half-blood werewolf lover, exactly no one was surprised. A few old biddies spent an afternoon or two sipping tea and decrying today’s youth, but that was about all the fuss it caused. Ever since Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor he had let the world know, loudly and repeatedly, that he was nothing like the rest of his conservative, blood-prejudiced family, and that he couldn’t care less of what society expected of him.

Sirius was quietly disinherited and his younger brother Regulus was made heir, and that was that.

But when three years later Regulus Black announced that he was marrying a man, all hell broke loose. Quiet, studious Regulus, the perfect pureblood son was expected to marry a pureblood witch of good upbringing and produce copious amounts of pureblood children.

The only good thing about Regulus’ intended was that he was a pureblood, but he was neither a witch nor capable of giving Regulus heirs.

Bartemius Crouch Jr was easily as quiet as Regulus and far more studious. A Ravenclaw, he met Regulus in the Hogwarts library during their fifth year when Regulus looked about ready to burst into tears over a particularly nasty arithmancy problem. Bartemius, who had admired the Slytherin from afar for a while, kindly asked him if he needed help. Regulus accepted the offer and before the year was over they were madly in love and joined at the hip.

Walburga threatened everything from disinheritance to the Unforgivables. Every single high society luncheon and ball was filled with nothing but gossip of this scandal of the year, nay, the decade. Pollux Black, Walburga’s father, got involved, publically accusing Barty of dosing his grandson with love potions. Barty Crouch Sr wasn’t about to take such an insult to his family lying down and had the entire Auror corps raid Pollux’ family mansion looking for dark artefacts after conveniently receiving an anonymous tip.

Meanwhile, Regulus kept his chin up and his mouth shut and his hand firmly holding on to Barty’s. No matter how anyone begged, pleaded, bribed or threatened, Regulus would not be dissuaded.

It was Arcturus Black, still head of the family despite his advanced age, that had to step in to keep the peace in his family, and indeed in the rest of British wizarding society. He declared that Regulus could marry who he wanted and that he would remain heir to the family and could simply appoint someone else in the Black family as his heir apparent.

On the day of Regulus’ wedding, Sirius showed up uninvited, hugged his little brother and told him he’d never been more proud of him. And thus the rift that Walburga had spent years driving between her sons was fixed once and for all.

And that was how Harry and Hyacinth grew up with an Uncle Reggie and Uncle Barty added to their extended family.

After having sworn Severus to secrecy, Harry had gone home and flooed Regulus to ask him if he could stop by the next day. Regulus agreed and was waiting for him when Harry tumbled out of the fireplace the next morning.

“Uncle Reggie!” Harry cried out in his best child-like voice.

Regulus sighed. “How often do I have to tell you to call me Regulus? You’re a grown man.”

“Apparently one more time,” Harry told him with a shit-eating grin, and then just to rub it in he added, “Is Bartemius home? I could use his advice.”

“You little shit,” Regulus muttered and then turned to call up the stairs. “Barty! The zookeeper’s here, probably freeloading again!”