CHAPTER XX

Now I'm gonna reap what I sow

I'm left seeing red on my own

SAPPHIRE

It had been a weak since I had been diagnosed with the damn thing. I hadn't told anyone about it. The only living soul having the knowledge except me was Anna. Somehow, the 'fits' managed to hurt more every time they happened. The frequency worried me even more. And I still hadn't forgotten about Anna's speculation. I tried to push it out of my mind, but fear always overcame me, not allowing me to concentrate. My thoughts wandered to the Alpha more and more often. The self-disgust that I had left behind long ago, came back again. I felt guilty every time I thought about him or anyone from his pack. My heart felt like it was being roasted on a low flame. Slow, painful and weakening.

I let out a gasp as I felt another migraine coming. I buried my head in my hands, letting out a painful moan, as memories flashed behind my closed eyes.

I looked up at him, hiccupping between sobs.

"Kiss me." I said.

His mouth fell open as his eyes widened with shock. But he didn't make a move. So I did it before I could lose my confidence.

I grabbed his face and pulled him closer-

"Arrgh." I shifted out of the memory before it could happen.

The familiar surroundings of my office at the head quarters came into view. I realized someone was knocking on the door.

"Enter." I said.

My assistant Mia came in.

"What is it?" I asked irritated.

"Does it always have to be work? Can't I check on a friend from time to time?" she pouted.

"Well, if you haven't noticed I am a bit busy at the moment, Elven." I said, motioning to the papers spread across my desk.

"I hear you have been visiting a healer lately. Is something wrong?" she asked.

"I am fine. Is there something urgent?" I asked.

She gave me a calculating look, before answering. "The leaders from other cults. They are questioning you after what happened at the council."

"Questioning as in?" I raised an eyebrow.

"They think you are conspiring against the others. They believe that our cult is hiding the amphora in our possession. Apparently, they are with Orion on this."

"So just come up with some kind of story and tell them off! What did I hire you for?" I said banging a fist on the table. Mia looked taken aback on my rude comment. But at the moment, I didn't care. I had had enough stress for a lifetime.

"I tried that. They aren't buying it." I realized her voice was stiff.

"Look I am sorry for snapping, okay? Just get rid of them for now." I apologized.

"The Canadians and Xenailese are threatening war if they don't get proof within a week. But on the bright side, if there is a war, we have got Sheime, Lraenice and a few other cults on our side."

"War is the last thing on my mind right now." I said rubbing my temples.

"But if the word about the secret got out-" she said lowering her voice to a whisper.

"No, no. Anything but that... I would end up committing suicide if that happened." I interrupted.

If that word got out, then war was inevitable. And I doubted any cults would be on our side then. It would be the end of Maeonia.