Chapter 5 First Meeting

On the path towards the capital, Xi Chen walked by an elderly couple with snowy white hair. The husband was pulling a wooden cart filled with a variety of fruits and vegetables while his wife walked by his side.

"Take it easy, don't push yourself too hard. We can stay at a nearby inn if we couldn't make it to the capital by tonight." The wife told her husband as she gently wiped the sweat off his forehead.

"You and I both know that there aren't any more inns from here to the capital. I can't let my bride sleep on a bed of hay, can I?" The elderly man's twinkling eyes crinkled into a smile as he looked at his wife lovingly.

"What bride? We've been married for over sixty years!" the elderly woman scolded, flustered.

The elderly man only smiled at her playfully. "Really? Well, it feels like it was only six days."

Xi Chen smiled warmly at the couple's antics. They reminded him of another couple he was familiar with.

"Good day. Let me help you." Xi Chen said while walking towards the elderly couple.

"Oh, no. We wouldn't want to be a bother." The elderly man quickly responded.

"But thank you for your offer, young man." His wife continued, the wrinkles by her eyes crinkling with her smile.

"It's not a bother really. I'm heading towards the capital anyway." Xi Chen reassured the elderly couple while fluidly taking over from the elderly man. "Both of you just get on the cart and we'll be on our way."

The elderly man was going to refuse but his wife put a hand over his arm and shook her head slightly, sensing that Xi Chen wasn't the type to budge even if they refused his help.

However, the elderly woman was still trying her best to negotiate with Xi Chen. "Are you sure you'll be alright, young man? Wouldn't it be better if we don't add to the weight of the cart?"

Xi Chen smiled at the elderly woman and said, "Don't worry, I didn't get to finish my training this morning. I'm using this to make up for it. Would you both be kind enough to help me out?"

The elderly man was both intrigued and amused by how this young man was asking them for help when it was obvious that he was the one who was helping them.

"Well, if you put it that way, I guess we should lend you a hand." The elderly man replied in amusement while his wife smiled at Xi Chen with gratitude.

The couple settled into the cart and the elderly woman offered Xi Chen kindly, "Do you want to put your things back here?"

Xi Chen surveyed the cramped cart that barely had enough extra space for the elderly couple to sit in comfortably and only gave them an earnest smile. "It's alright."

And then, Xi Chen faced the front and started pulling the cart into motion.