Pre-School 5

Beta: Cloudy

(‿‿)ノ⌒●~*

Rosie, age 8

I wish Harry's story hadn't told us such a bias perspective against Fenrir Greyback. It was understandable, but regrettable, as it made me second guess a lot of interactions with Fenrir in the beginning.

Fenrir Greyback was an interesting penpal to say the least. The more we wrote, the better his handwriting got, and so the longer his letters became. He started to divulge little truths about himself that both surprised and humbled me.

There was not much information on Fenrir Greyback in the fandom. He was a werewolf that targeted families who were malicious enough to actively work against werewolves. His thought process was simple: if there's a werewolf in that family, the politicians wouldn't be so against us.

Cruel, most certainly, but I could see how an uneducated, desperate man would make that conclusion. In some cases he was correct, and in other cases he was wrong. Certain families would rather kill, or cast out their cursed child, than change their viewpoints.

Fenrir, as I understood from his letters, had a very large pack that he struggled to consistently find food and shelter for. To my surprise, only a couple were those he had turned, and whose families consequentially abandoned them. Most of his pack were simply random stragglers that were cast out. Fenrir wasn't the only werewolf in Great Britain, and contrary to fandom belief he was not the largest spreader of the lycanthrope curse. He was simply the only werewolf who showed his face and gave the public a name to hate.

Most alarming of all, he took credit for others' accidents.

It made sense in hindsight. His face was well known. If he was spotted in an area people were sure to be on guard, yet on certain full moons there was a new accident? And somehow all of those accidents were tied back to Fenrir, even if they happened in multiple places at the same time?

Most of the conversions were done by abandoned children who didn't understand what to do. The children tended to run into Muggle homes to hide from the aurors and when the full moon rose... well. Mass conversion, which would lead to more children running away until the next full moon and rinse and repeat.

He could find them on the full moon because werewolves could hear each other's howls. He had enough wits about him on the full moon to get the bitten families out of there when he found them. Then he'd leave enough trace of himself around to take credit for the attack, even though it was not his blame.

Do it often enough for a few years and even attacks on the opposite side of the country were blamed by him. Not that he did anything to correct it.

Infamy was still publicity, still awareness.

Forgetting werewolves was considered much worse by his standards.

His described "penchant" for children was another fandom myth. Children simply survived obtaining the curse better than adults... most adults died. Children also didn't have anywhere else to go, whereas an adult could try to make a living. So Fenrir ended up with an absurdly large amount of children following him around. In another world it might have been cute. In this world it was just... sad.

There wasn't exactly an orphanage to drop them off at (yet).

I didn't understand why the children survived the curse more often than adults yet. I had every intention of studying the lycanthrope curse. Hopefully my past life's knowledge as a medical student could be of some use. At the very least it was better than doing nothing.