Chapter 5: Looks Like Home

We were on the road to who knows where but I trusted my little fellow travelers, whom I just met.  All of us were together, Stu, Bonnie, Judy, Jack, Hazel, Luna, and, of course, I, Cheribim.

Lengthwise the roadway was quite a long stretch, going on forever but the width was no greater than a large sidewalk found back home. For the bunnies, the span was normal and felt more like a road to them than it did for me. Sometimes I felt like either I was growing bigger or the world around me was growing smaller.

As we approached the wide hills, the area itself now appeared to amplify while the road itself remained consistent. It was like an ocean of grass on both sides and every blade was illuminated as a golden-green color from the splendid sun that was about to fully set in the next 70 minutes.

As we pressed forward towards the sunset, I continued pushing the Hopp's family truck and it felt like pushing a little tike car with small passengers inside. Even though the truck was much heavier and had more heavy-duty wheels, it seemed to roll just as easily as a tike. The only hard part was having to crouch down a bit to properly position my hands and avoid crushing the cabin window. It got a bit uncomfortable at times but being with good company made all the discomfort completely negligible.

I looked down into the truck cabin and could see Stu relaxing with paws behind his head and his green carrot hat resting on top of the steering wheel

I looked down into the truck cabin and could see Stu relaxing with paws behind his head and his green carrot hat resting on top of the steering wheel. There was a sound of light country-sounding music emanating from the cabin and Bonnie was reading a carrot-themed children's book with Jack and Luna on her lap. Once in a while, Jack or Luna would shoot a quick glance at me until Bonnie refocused their attention to the book.

Outside, in the back of the truck next to me, of course, was Hazel and Judy, both appearing to be enjoying the scenic ride and relaxing atmosphere atop the crates. 

Hazel was like most modern teens in my world:  zoned out and fixated on her phone.  But it wasn't a big deal because that's how many teens are. Even so, she would at least look around once in a while, sometimes at me, sometimes at Judy, most other times out in the distance, and try to notice things here and there. She was wearing small white headphones on the edges of her giant bunny ears which were connected to her small electronic device. If I had to venture a guess, she was probably listening to Hip-Hop.

Judy, with her handy notebook and fancy carrot pen, appeared to be doing a mini inventory check and was counting the number of items remaining in some of the crates. With such a small truck, there's no way she'd get to all the crates beneath her for there was no room to move them. Regardless, she at least got a head start. After closing one of the crate lids, she sat down, jotted some final notes, closed the notebook, and wedged it between two crates. She then removed her straw hat, placed it on the wooden tool frame, and looked up at me. I looked away, trying to stay focused on the road, but then I looked back at her because she was still observing me with a small smile. Realizing I was still wearing my helmet, I used one hand to keep pushing the truck while I used the other to remove the helmet.